Diskussion om kriget i Ukraina, med deltagare - Discussion on war in Ukraine, with participant

Hey Sinkomies. You wrote F1, do you mean F1 Limonka, that old 1940-style handgrenade?
Can I ask you, what is the most common handgrenade you guys out in frontier?

Exactly. One guy in the squad had one having been made in 1943, according to the markings.
Handgrenades used are the typical russian ones, usually RGD5 and F1, or the det-on-impact RGN and RGO ones.

One thing striking me as funny is how most of us Finns commenting in this thread base their questions on the sometimes even quite high level of sophistication in tactics and professinalism instilled in them in training and stretch to assumptions about the skills present on both sides of the conflict, especially on the Russian side. When one gets better acquainted with the day-to-day running of the Russian Machine, the first thing to fade away are the expectations about trained professionals! Slavic mentality is alive and well and most often than not the Russians tend to do something without giving it much real, analytic thought. This is not to say that one should not respect the Russians as adversaries, but rather to stop thinking of them as something higher than oneself in military terms.

Yeah. They should be taken seriously in every way, but they arent really as good as they would make themselves out to be.

what the general situation in your view, it is now . ? I mean the more internal situation . For example, right -sector base in an attempt to disarm . Government wants power away from volunteers

Honestly, I dont know really whats going on, and I shouldnt really say either. But everyone can see that there are lots of idiotic powerstruggles going on. Typical slavic post-soviet style.

The ceasefire-terms in Shyrokyne, agreed on by the Ukrainians, says Azov and others are supposed to withdraw from the hill on the western side of town is just insane. The russians are supposed to withdraw east too, but everyone knows that as soon as the Ukrainians leave the high grounds, its only a matter of time before the russians break the ceasefire and takes them. Then, we are basicly back to where we were in January and the rocketbombings of Mariupol. Exactly why the OSCE, the Ukrainian command and politicians think there will be any other outcome of it, I have no idea..

Exactly. One guy in the squad had one having been made in 1943, according to the markings.
Handgrenades used are the typical russian ones, usually RGD5 and F1, or the det-on-impact RGN and RGO ones.
Thanks, very interesting. We are not using any det-on-impact-style detonation in our handgrenades. Do you see any tactical differensies when using det-on-impact or traditional style grenade?

Thanks, very interesting. We are not using any det-on-impact-style detonation in our handgrenades. Do you see any tactical differensies when using det-on-impact or traditional style grenade?

I liked them. They had a 1-2 sec delay on the the fuze, so if they struck any object within this time, a normal timefuze on about 4 sec kicked in. Longer than this and they would detonate on impact. This means you can throw them around corners or whatever just like a normal grenade, but they could also easier be used to destroy precise objects at longer distance. Where normal grenades of course have a tendency to bump or skid away in any direction when they strike a wall or something, explodeing somewhere else, theese will explode on impact with the target. Maybe theres more to it than that as well, but that how I saw it.

It was claimed that the dets on theese often were defective, but I never noticed it. I only saw misfires with F1 grenades, presumably because of their age.

One thing striking me as funny is how most of us Finns commenting in this thread base their questions on the sometimes even quite high level of sophistication in tactics and professinalism instilled in them in training and stretch to assumptions about the skills present on both sides of the conflict, especially on the Russian side. When one gets better acquainted with the day-to-day running of the Russian Machine, the first thing to fade away are the expectations about trained professionals! Slavic mentality is alive and well and most often than not the Russians tend to do something without giving it much real, analytic thought. This is not to say that one should not respect the Russians as adversaries, but rather to stop thinking of them as something higher than oneself in military terms.
However so far they have not used full force, risked their best elite units at least fully or used nuclear weapons or turned the society in war mode.

Funny story; Apparently the russians in Shyrokyne seem a bit jumpy for some reason. The small foreign contidgent, accompanied by some ukrainians did a small push forward through the village. From what Im told, contact occured and a decent firefight followed. Apparently the russians interpereted the small reconparty as a battalion-sized fullout assault, went full retard and launched all artillery at their disposal towards the allegded attackers. Unfortuneatly for them, the artillery struck short of its intended target and promptly landed on the brave defenders of Novorossiya who called for said strike instead.

Because of this small mishap, the russians needed a morale boost and themselves tried to push forward sometime after this. Or rather, as someone said, it was not so much an attack as rather them simply moving forward and exposing themselves. The outcome of that was, well, as one can expect.

Go easy on the booze this weekend, but if you dont - remember to have a sober designated driver as well as an at least somewhat sober forward observer. Things can get really nasty otherwise.

fagotti_azov.jpg
Bilden är hämtat från Azov's galleri i VK. com.
Finska och Svenska pansarvärnsfolk känner väl till 'apparaten' :cool:

Katso liite: 4407

Swedes Im not so sure, here from what I know only TOW and BILL (Rb55 and 56 resp) have been used.

I didnt really get that aquantied with those, but from what I understood the way of guiding the missiles where quite akward. They did the trick though, we would probably have been more or less run over by the tanks in Shyrokyne until they were halted by those bad boys.

Katso liite: 4407

Not really familiar with that one either but I think it's what the Ukrainians called Faggot. Don't know the difference between that one and what they called Thor on my first rotation. It's wire controlled if we are talking about the same weapon. From what I saw the Ukrainians missed a house on like 400 meters with that one.

Not really familiar with that one either but I think it's what the Ukrainians called Faggot. Don't know the difference between that one and what they called Thor on my first rotation. It's wire controlled if we are talking about the same weapon. From what I saw the Ukrainians missed a house on like 400 meters with that one.

I remember the fields being somewhat tricky running over, as they were covered in copper-wire from them. One or two is one thing, but you quickly become tangeled in them.

The russians have been very keen on not sending any weapons in that arent part of the traditional Ukrainian army arsenal as well. There are though, exceptions to this rule, for example spotted and even knocked out BMP 97 armoured cars, AK74Ms and so forth. If Im not mistaken, the T-72BM3 which has been seen several times also belong to this category.

Thomas Theiner paints a bleak view. Amazing if Ukraine really exported tens of brand new tanks...and AT missiles while under-equipped and at de facto war with Russia.

http://euromaidanpress.com/2015/06/03/putin-on-the-march-the-coming-major-strategic-offensive/
Curious claims. I mean, I'm open to the idea of leadership being corrupted but for it to manifest like that? Surely they didn't.... just... sell much-needed arms at a time of war? It would then beg the question which is Ukraine's biggest enemy - their own so-called leadership or Russia? Who or what is the real enemy here then? Who are responsible for making the arms deal? If the deal exists, then there are names to go along with it.

Curious claims. I mean, I'm open to the idea of leadership being corrupted but for it to manifest like that? Surely they didn't.... just... sell much-needed arms at a time of war? It would then beg the question which is Ukraine's biggest enemy - their own so-called leadership or Russia? Who or what is the real enemy here then? Who are responsible for making the arms deal? If the deal exists, then there are names to go along with it.
By selling one Oplot tank to a foreign buyer they are able to fund the restoration, modernisations and fielding of three t-64 tanks.

Thus it makes total sense for them to fulfil their contract with Asia.

Yeah. Too bad my russian (?) isn't very much anything to write home about. It would be nice to dig some more info about these claims. Theiner is a good writer but sometimes prone to exaggeration and misunderstandings IMO.

One thing I definately have to agree with this article though - either the russians and their pals are preparing for a major attack OR they want to show that they would be able to do so, as a negotiation tactic. In both of these cases, it is bad that Ukraine is not preparing its defences properly.

Back