Viestiketju osiossa 'Käynnissä olevat sodat ja konfliktit' , aloittaja Tvälups, 05.01.2012.
Onhan siinä, joskin Espanjan armeija ei ole erityisen kyvykkään maineessa.
Tunisia denied Thursday a US news report that said it had allowed the US troops to operate unmanned planes from its territory for missions in neighbouring Libya against IS.
“As part of Tunisian-US bilateral cooperation, we have acquired drones to train our military personnel to use this technology and to control out southeastern border with Libya and detect any suspicious movement” there, a defence ministry spokesman said, Al-Arabia.
But “Tunisian soil has never been and never will be used to strike targets in Libya. The drones are used by Tunisians and no one else,” Belhassen Oueslati added.
The Washington Post on Wednesday reported that the Pentagon had “secretly expanded its global network of drone bases to North Africa, deploying unmanned aircraft and US military personnel to a facility in Tunisia to conduct spy missions in neighbouring Libya”.
The “drones began flying out of the Tunisian base in late June” and “played a key role in an extended US air offensive against an IS stronghold” in Libya, the newspaper said.
Tunisia’s Defence Minister Farhat Horchani told the Mosaique FM radio station on Thursday: “We were one of the few first countries to oppose a foreign military intervention in Libya.”
“We don’t — and won’t — have a foreign military base in Tunisia,” he said.
An AFRICOM spokesman did not deny that US drones had taken off from Tunisia but said: “There are no US bases in Tunisia.”
“There are US service members working with the Tunisian security forces for counter terrorism and they are sharing intelligence from various sources, to include unarmed aerial platforms,” Colonel Mark R. Cheadle said, According to Al-Arabia.
Libya's Chaos Prompts New US Calls for Action
October 31, 2016 4:07 PM
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry spearheaded renewed efforts Monday to bolster Libya's U.N.-backed government against continued chaos and a collapsing economy, but the meeting appeared to yield little more than an expression of support for the embattled Libyan leadership.
Kerry and British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson convened the gathering in London that included ministers from France, Italy, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia, who met with Libyan Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj.
The ministers reaffirmed what a State Department official said was "strong international support" for Libya's Government of National Accord, the U.N.-backed interim governing body that has thus far been unable to establish control outside the capital, Tripoli.
Since the fall of longtime leader Moammar Gadhafi following a 2011 popular uprising, Libya has been divided by factional fighting. A government in the east of the country headed by General Khalifa Haftar has refused to recognize the GNA.
Libya dependent on oil, gas
"There is a crisis of legitimacy that is now much deeper than at the beginning of the civil war," said Wolfram Lacher, Middle East and Africa Associate at the German Institute for International and Security Affairs at a forum in London earlier this year.
The crisis, along with the prospect of economic collapse, have deepened concerns about widening opportunities for Islamists in western Libya.
Libya's economy is nearly entirely dependent on oil and gas exports and is on the verge of collapse after crude prices last year dropped to seven-year lows and production plummeted to a third of its pre-war levels as a result of factional fighting.
"The ministers underscored their support for increasing the capacity of the GNA led by Prime Minister al-Sarraj to respond to the needs of the Libyan people," said State Department spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau in a statement after the meeting Monday in London.
There were no concrete proposals of aid, but ministers said technical talks will be held to follow up and implement their effort.
U.S. airstrikes supported
The meeting was held as Libyan government forces supported by a U.S. air campaign make gains in their efforts to wrest control of the coastal city of Sirte from about 100 Islamic State militants who reports say are holed up in the city.
State Department officials said ministers meeting Monday in London noted the "important progress" the GNA and its allied forces are making in Sirte. The U.S. officials reaffirmed their "continuing and strong" support of al-Sarraj's efforts against Islamic State militants.
The statements follow criticism by observers who note the operation to retake Sirte, launched in May, was originally expected to take a few weeks but, after several months, is still ongoing.
Tämä on jo kahden viikon takaa.
Rival Governments Vie for Control of Libya
October 17, 2016 2:53 PM
Tensions reached a boiling point in the Libyan capital Monday, as rival militia groups waged a low-level turf war in a political battle between the U.N.-backed "national unity" government of Fayez al-Sarraj and the unrecognized, Islamist-supported government of Khalifa Ghweil.
Militia forces loyal to Ghweil , who call themselves the Presidential Guard, seized some government buildings over the weekend, although Ghweil claimed in an interview with Arab televison that he was not trying to stop the "unity" government from having access to them. The Rixos Hotel, which the country's former legislative body, the General National Council considers to be its home, is under the control of Ghweil-forces, and they appear to be preventing the "unity" government from using it.
Libyan TV broadcast a statement by members of the guard, saying they support Ghweil and the GNC and asserting the unity government is an attempt to place Libya under a new military dictatorship.
Ghweil, who is supported by the hardline Islamist mufti of Tripoli, seized control of the old governmental palace, called the "guest palace," and several other government ministries, but insisted that "he did not want to spill any Libyan blood."
Ghweil told Arab media that he had not retaken the government buildings by force, but by "popular will." He also claimed that he had contacted rival Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni in Tobruk in order to form a new government "together."
Ghweil argued the Sarraj "unity" government was a failure, and his actions were necessary to reassert control in order to keep the country financially stable. Presidential Guard militiamen who seized government buildings in Ghweil's name have reportedly not been paid in six months.
The U.N. special envoy for Libya, Martin Kobler, tweeted Monday he was "saddened by civilian casualties in Tripoli" and at a government airbase. He went on to call for unity in the country.
Libyan political analyst Khaled Sharaf told state TV the situation in the country had "returned to square one."
He says the unity government has not done anything for the country and it has not even visited most towns and cities. He stressed that the situation in the capital Tripoli is "confused" and it is possible rival militias might resort to arms and ignite a new civil war.
Libya has been in turmoil since the NATO-backed overthrow of Moammar Gadhafi in 2011.
Militiamiehet vs ISIS.
Jotenkin älyvapaan näköstä touhua paukutella tankilla kerrostaloihin 50m päästä samaan aikaan ku jätkät seisoo kadulla kattelemassa. Edetäänkö tuossa vai onko tarkoitus vain hajottaa mahdollisimman paljon paikkoja...
Liekkö daeshit linnoittautuneet kerrostaloihin ja militia ei kykene/uskalla siivoamaan aluetta asunto kerrallaan. Paukutellaan iltaan asti välillä läheltä ja välillä kaukaa. Propsit kuitenkin haavoittuneiden evakuoinnista - ambulanssia tuli jatkuvalla syötöllä. Tosin en yhtään ihmettelis, jos ottavat omilta osumaa vahingossa, kun liipasinsormet on aika herkässä.
Mielenkiintoista oli nähdä myös kaluston kirjavuus. Militialla oli käytössä kaikkea mahdollista aina 155mm Palmyria ja M109 tykistöön asti. Organisaatio- ja ammattitaidoista onkin sitten enemmän pulaa.
Libyan forces claim control of ISIL stronghold of Sirte
Hundreds of loyalist troops and unknown number of ISIL fighters killed as pro-government forces seize coastal city.
Forces aligned to Libya's UN-backed national unity government have gained full control of Sirte after months of fighting, in a major blow to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group in the country.
"Our forces have total control of Sirte," Reda Issa, a spokesman for pro-government forces, told AFP news agency on Monday. "Our forces saw Daesh totally collapse," he said referring to the Arabic name of ISIL.
The battle for the coastal city, which was the last significant territory held by ISIL, also known as ISIS, in Libya, cost the lives of hundreds of loyalist troops as well as an unknown number of ISIL fighters, Issa said.
The government forces seized the coastal city's Jiza al-Bahrieh district, the last area where the armed group has been holding out, and were in the process of securing it, Issa said in a separate interview with DPA news agency.
"Daesh has totally collapsed and dozens of them have given themselves up to our forces," said a statement on the loyalist forces' official Facebook page.
ISIL fighters are still thought to be present in several parts of southern and eastern Libya but no longer control any towns.
Al Jazeera's Mahmoud Abdelwahed, reporting from Sirte, said that there are still a few ISIL fighters holding out.
"The fighting has been going on all day," he said, adding that at least 30 ISIL fighters have surrendered to the pro-government forces.
The question now is, how many of the fighters have fled to other parts of Libya, Anas El Gomati, director of the Tripoli-based Sadeq Institute, said in an interview with Al Jazeera from Dakar, Senegal.
"The fear now is that if ISIS moves into other parts of Libya, does it induce more and more conflict?" he said.
The developments follow a bitter seven-month campaign against ISIL, which took advantage of Libya's split between rival governments in the east and west of the country to build up its largest territory outside of its heartland in Syria and Iraq.
Akram Glawan, Misrata Hospital spokesman, told AP news agency that 711 Libyan fighters have been killed battling ISIL during the seven-month operation in Sirte and that another 3,200 have been wounded.
Despite the apparent victory in Sirte, Libya remains deeply divided, with the national unity government based in the capital Tripoli unable to gain recognition from the elected parliament based in the eastern city of Tobruk.
Forces loyal to Tobruk military strongman General Khalifa Haftar have made major advances in recent months, seizing the country's critical oil ports from forces aligned to the unity government.
Analysts argue that Haftar's growing strength means that the UN-backed deal setting up the national unity government is increasingly out of step with the balance of power on the ground and should be revisited.
Even in Tripoli the unity government's rule is far from secure, with a third rival administration backed by hardline armed groups recently attempting a comeback.
Clashes between rival militias claimed at least four lives in the city on Friday, according to the al-Wasat news site.
Source: Al Jazeera News and Agencies
"Russia is planning to arm a Libyan general who has been fighting the western-backed government in Tripoli, according to aides of the strongman."
Type 84. Photo and capture via the author
Terrific — Libyan Militants Now Have Deadly Chinese Landmines
The Type 84 makes an appearance in Benghazi
by ARNAUD DELALANDE
On Dec. 8, 2016, a social media account supporting the Libyan National Army — one of two main forces battling for control of war-torn Libya — published footage of an unused, Chinese-made Type 84 remotely-delivered anti-vehicle landmine along with a Type 122-15 ATML rocket.
The rocket was apparently found in the Ganfouda district of Benghazi, in a neighborhood that the Tobruk-based LNA had seized from the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council, an Islamist militia.
The footage apparently marks the first appearance of the Chinese mine in Libya since 2011 — and, more importantly, the first evidence that a Libyan Islamic group has gotten its hands on the munition.
The Type 84 mine is an air-dispersed landmine with an explosively-formed penetrator warhead that can penetrate up to 110 millimeters of rolled homogeneous armor.
The Type 122-15 ATML rocket — the export version of China’s GBL212 122- millimeter rocket — includes an ejection charge, a main body containing six scatterable mines and a nose cone. The type is launched from BM-21 Grad multiple launch rocket systems.
The GLD220 variant of the Type 84 disarms itself after 72 hours — and also features a self-destruct function that can trigger between four and 72 hours after deployment. Once the rocket launches, a time fuse activates at a predetermined distance. The rocket’s head bursts, ejecting the mines, which then descend under parachutes.
Type 122–15 rocket. Capture via the author
During the descent, the three legs at the feet of the mines open downward to form a tip that pierces the ground. The mine is then armed.
The Type 84 is not a cluster munition, unlike the Type 81 which can deliver explosive submunitions. Hezbollah used Type 81s during the 2006 conflict in south Lebanon.
Still, “the Type 84 mine is extremely dangerous and should not be handled or disturbed, as it is equipped with a sensitive magnetic influence fuse that also functions as an inherent anti-disturbance feature,” wrote Mark Hiznay, a researcher in the arms division of Human Rights Watch.
“The magnetic influence fuse explodes the mine when it detects a change in its immediate magnetic environment. That change can result from a vehicle passing over the mine or a person approaching it while wearing or carrying a sufficient amount of ferrous metal, such as military equipment or even a camera.
“Additionally, given the sensitivity of the fuse, any change in orientation or movement of the mine may cause the fuse to function.”
The first use of the Type 84 landmine in Libya was reported by C.J. Chivers of The New York Times and confirmed by Human Rights Watch. The rockets were launched on May 5, 2011 in the port area of the city of Misrata by forces loyal to then-Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
Two guards patrolling the port in a truck ran over two of the mines. One guard was seriously wounded in the blast. An international deminer was killed in Dafniya in March 2012 and two injured in November 2011 when they tried to defuse a Type 84 submunition.
Amerikkalaiset palkkasotilaslentäjät suorittavat Libyassa pommituslentoja Arabiemiraattien laskuun. Koneena on Emiraattien ilmavoimien Air Tractor AT-802U "crop dusteri".
Erik Prince’s Mercenaries Are Bombing Libya
Tästä minä ja @ Geronimo ollaan jo ainakin vuosi sitten kirjoitettu..?
Seuraavassa artikkeissa sivutaan myös Haftaria, pääosassa kuitenkin Obaman päätös uusia USA:n voimankäyttövaltuudet Libyassa.
Stealth Bombers Blast Libya
B-2s hit targets south of Sirte
by JOSEPH TREVITHICK
Ash Carterin lausunto.
Videoita pommituksista linkissä http://www.longwarjournal.org/archi...islamic-states-external-plotters-in-libya.php
Pentagon: Bombs struck Islamic State’s ‘external plotters’ in Libya
By Thomas Joscelyn | January 21st, 2017 | email@example.com | @thomasjoscelyn
During his last press briefing as Secretary of Defense on Jan. 19, Ash Carter discussed the recent airstrikes targeting two Islamic State camps in Libya. One Defense Department video, seen above, shows surveillance of fighters at one of the “potential” training camps.
Carter said the group’s “external plotters” were among these fighters, claiming that they were connected to operations in Europe.
“Initial estimates indicate that the air strikes killed more than 80 ISIL [Islamic State] fighters, many of whom had converged there after fleeing from local partner forces who had cleared Sirte last month with our help,” Carter said. The jihadists were ejected from Sirte, formerly their North African stronghold, in December after months of fighting.
“Importantly,” Carter continued, “these strikes were directed against some of ISIL’s external plotters, who were actively planning operations against our allies in Europe.”
Carter was asked if the jihadis killed southwest of Sirte posed “imminent threats” to the West.
“Well, they certainly are people who … were actively plotting operations in Europe,” he responded. “And [they] may also have been connected with some attacks that have already occurred in Europe.”
The Defense Department has not identified the specific Islamic State operatives who were killed, or provided details concerning their ties to plots in Europe. But this isn’t the first time the Pentagon has connected jihadists in Libya to the Islamic State’s external operations arm.
In Feb. 2016, the US military bombed a training camp near Sabratha. The Defense Department said Noureddine Chouchane, a Tunisian Islamic State facilitator also known as “Sabir,” was “associated with the training camp.” Chouchane was tied to the deadly Mar. 18, 2015 attack on the Bardo Museum in Tunis and may have also played a part in the July 2015 shooting spree at a beach in Sousse, Tunisia. The Pentagon suggested that Chouchane could “potentially” be involved in “planning external attacks on” American “interests in the region,” in addition to recruiting new members for Abu Bakr al Baghdadi’s global operation and “establishing bases in Libya.” [See FDD’s Long War Journal report, US airstrike targets Islamic State operative, training camp in Libya.]
The Pentagon released a series of videos from the airstrikes southwest of Sirte. In addition to the video included above, a second can be seen below. The short clips were first posted on the Defense Video Imagery Distribution System’s website.
Vielä Verkkouutisissa juttua Libyan iskusta. 108 täsmäpommia ammuttu.
Superpommittajat lensivät Atlantin takaa yli 30 tuntia 15 ilmatankkaajan avulla ja tuhosivat ISIS-leirit
eilen klo 23:56 (päivitetty eilen klo 23:59)
Libyan Sirten ilmaiskuista tulee julki hämmästyttäviä tietoja.
B-2 Spirit -pommittajat ovat ainutlaatuinen etu USA:n asevoimille.
(Wikimedia Commons US Air Force Tech Sgt Cecilio Ricardo)
The Aviationist on kerännyt tietoja viime torstain vastaisen yön ilmaiskuista ISIS:n leireihin Libyassa. USA sanoo menestyksekkäillä iskuilla surmatun 80 ISIS-taistelijaa, joista osa oli suunnittelemassa terrori-iskuja Eurooppaan.
B-2 Spirit -häivepommittajat lensivät kohteeseensa Libyaan kerralla USA:n Missourista, jonne ne myös saman tien palasivat.
Kolme pommittajaa oli kukin ilmassa yhtäjaksoisesti yli 30 tuntia. Niitä tuki operaatiossa 15 ilmatankkauskonetta. Välimerellä tukemassa olivat USS Donald Cook- ja USS Porter -alukset.
Koneista ammuttiin yöaikaan 108 täsmäpommia. Lisäksi ainakin yksi kauko-ohjattu lennokki ampui Hellfire-ohjuksia kohti pakenevia terroristeja.
Raskaat iskut oli valtuuttanut presidentti Barack Obama. Itse iskuja suoritti kaksi B-2:ta kolmannen toimiessa varakoneena.
Superpommittaja ampuu pommeja
No jos joku pommikone ansaitsee tuon "superpommittaja" tittelin, niin minun mielestäni juuri tuo B-2 Spirit. Pelkästään sen takiakin, kun se on niin päheen näköinen.
Joo, mutta superiudestaan huolimatta sekin voi vaan pudottaa pommeja.
Joku lennokkiohjaaja tainnut hieman tunaroida.
Valtava sotalennokki kävi 21 tunnin vakoilulennolla - ei pysynytkään salassa
http://www.verkkouutiset.fi/ulkomaat/Valtava lennokki Libya-61229
Reuters: Venäjällä erikoisjoukkoja Egyptissä, valmiina toimimaan Libyassa
Uutistoimisto arvelee Venäjän tukevan Libyan itäosaa hallitsevaa sotilasjohtajaa, joka sotii YK:n hyväksymää hallitusta vastaan.
Erota mahdolliset useat käyttäjänimet pilkulla.