Nagant M44, origins and caliber?

Sinkomies

Alikersantti
Hi people.

I recently got hold of a Nagant M44 carbine that envoked a couple of questions.

From what I can read from the markings, I understand as much as that it should have been manufactured in Poland in 1953, but from there on, Im not really sure what to guess.

IMG_8765.JPG

First of all, it has two lions on it, one with 87 following it. I of course recognize them as Finnish, but cant wrap my head around what more they tell, nor what 87 means.

Also, the reciever is marked 7,62x53R. I know there isnt that much difference between the 54R and 53R, but does that mean that the barrel has been replaced with one chambered for the finnish cartridge or something? I myself havnt fired it yet, but from what I know, the previous owner have used at least 53R cartridges, and claim it was very precise with them.

In general, the rifle looks like it has seen practicly no use at all, with only some minor scratches on the stock,which is made from hardwood and not laminate, I might add.

So, I guess my questions are, in short:
How/when did this rifle end up in Finland, and why?
Whats up with the calibermarking?

Number 11 in circle, Polish Radom factory.

87 with lion, Finnish proof mark from year, 1987.

Radom rifles are considered pretty good quality in Mosin Nagant family.

Caliber had to be stamped when rifle was imported to Finland. 7.62x53R is Finnish way to mark that caliber, just minor differencies with 7.62x54R.

It was imported probably by Asetalo in the end of eighties, as you can guess it was made in 1953 so it didn´t see too much use before it was replaced with more modern guns in Poland.

Something to read:http://7.62x54r.net

Aha, so this lion is just a general proofmark, and it was imported for the civilian market?

I understand. I have read a bit about the 53R and 54R, but I dont have any real experiences between them myself and people say different things about mixing them. But I guess that means that the barrel is (to be nitpickly) chambered for 54R, and there should be no problem or extra wear from fireing 53R ammunition in it?

Yes, it was for civilian market. Very few M44 carbines were captured by Finns in the war, mostly battles in Ilomantsi, mottimestarin viimeinen opetus you see. Lion is Finnish proofmark, found on every gun produced in there.

Usually it is more a problem to shoot x54R ammo in x53R chambered rifles, but Finnish ammo should work just fine in your M44. But if you doubt it, consult your gunsmith. He can check headspace etc.

Finnish rifles called "Pystykorva" are x53R as everyone knows, but they "eat" also x54R. If you have so called "sotilaskivääri"M/91, M/27, M/39 etc. (service rifle) you can shoot both - x53R or x54R.

Yes, it was for civilian market. Very few M44 carbines were captured by Finns in the war, mostly battles in Ilomantsi, mottimestarin viimeinen opetus you see. Lion is Finnish proofmark, found on every gun produced in there.

Usually it is more a problem to shoot x54R ammo in x53R chambered rifles, but Finnish ammo should work just fine in your M44. But if you doubt it, consult your gunsmith. He can check headspace etc.

Ah, then it makes sence! I got a bit confused with a gun made in postwar Poland, with (what I thought was) some sort of finnish military marks from the late 80s. :D

About the lion proofmark.....it can be stamped also if a rifle is build from parts and the before it becomes registered you need to bring it for test shooting. Once the test with 3 shots with 20% overloaded power is done and nothing breaks, then the authority put the lion stamp showing approval. You also get the approval document to attach the registration. Done it once 1993.

(not sure if the figures above are 100% right but thats the way ... )

Back