Syyrian konflikti

Onks tää Salil Puri sukua Salil Ekalle ja Salil Vikalle?

Salil Puri - Senior Consultant
Salil has an extensive academic and professional background in human behavioral analysis, deception, persuasion, influence, and strategic communication. A Psychological Operations Sergeant, Salil has experience across the spectrum of conflict. Working in non permissive and semi permissive environments, applying influence and rooting out deception on the ground in combat zones, consulting for US and allied commanders during tense multiparty negotiations, and shaping the cognitive domain in a Task Force size battlespace, he has regularly been selected by name to provide his expertise. As an instructor, training soldiers in the art and science of psychological operations, Salil has worked on doctrine and training development at the US Army Special Warfare Center and School, on subjects such as face to face engagements, targeting, and Unconventional Warfare.

A graduate of the University of Texas at Austin, he quadruple majored in four fields (Psychology, History, Middle Eastern Studies, and Government). With his Masters including significant research in Disinformation, Deception, and Influence, Salil fuses practical military training and experience with academic rigor, and a passion for unraveling human deception.

http://www.theculpergroup.net/our-team/

Kyllä ne kuulemma serkkuja ovat!

SOFREP:n juttu kokonaisuudessaan

Russia’s viral hero story almost certainly Kremlin propaganda
sofrep-grenade.png

BY SALIL PURI 04.04.2016#EXPERT ANALYSISEMAIL SHARE TWEET

You’ve probably heard about the Russian special operations troop killed recently in Syria. As the story goes, he was alone, low on ammo, and surrounded by Daesh attackers. He called in an air strike on his own position, martyring himself to kill the enemy hordes converging on his position. If you read SOFREP regularly, you’ve probably already seen Jack Murphy’s scathing deconstruction of this narrative. Unfortunately, that piece wasn’t the final nail in this absurd coffin. No, the story continues.

Russian psychological warfare operatives are astute. As Murphy observed, it doesn’t matter if informed consumers see the propaganda for what it is. What matters is that their audiences don’t. Undoubtedly this story has created a swelling of national pride among Russians, and good for them. The problem is that Russian propaganda continues to gain unfathomable traction here in the West. Although Moscow is pushing the narrative through Kremlin mouthpieces like Russia Today and Pravda, British tabloids were more than eager to spread the message. Despite enormous cause for skepticism, even mainstream sources like the Washington Post began including this tale in reports on Syria.

It isn’t old media that’s the primary vector for delivery, though. Russian propagandists don’t have to engage in traditional underhanded methods to slip their stories into journals of record anymore. The Internet provides delivery platforms that are faster, have deeper penetration, and take almost no effort to compromise. The story has spread like wildfire across social media, from Reddit to Twitter. Shepherded along by Russia’s web brigades (or Internet trolls), the story has tens of thousands of likes, upvotes, comments, and shares across multiple sites. In what continues to be an amazing 21st-century information coup, even stalwart and patriotic U.S. veteran pages are eagerly promoting Russian propaganda. Think about the brilliance of that for a moment.

Murphy’s aforementioned article focused on challenging the narrative based on factual aspects of the story. For example, if the Russian was killed in an air strike, how did Daesh recover the Russian’s pristine and dust-free gear?

In analyzing organizational deception and disinformation, finding contraindicating facts is extremely important, and we’ll look at some more of those below. We will also explore some of the more murky areas of deception analysis. Do we find ourselves naturally pulled into a compelling story arc? Do we see melodrama that targets us emotionally the way Hollywood might? Let’s take a look.

sofrep-russian-1.jpg
Early reports were stating that a GRU (Russian military intelligence) operative, Denis Tukhmanov (seen above right, in the striped shirt), was the soldier killed. Within days, that identity was changed to a young officer, Lt. Alexander Prokhorenko (above left, in white). Different images were provided for both individuals. Clearly we are talking about two different people. Regardless of the Kremlin’s intention, this story is without a doubt colored by deception.

Now take a moment and examine the story as told by the Daily Mail, complete with compelling family pictures of the young lieutenant.

Army WTF Moments, a hugely popular social-media presence for the veteran community, tells the tale as follows:

The Russian JTAC officer that died in Syria on March 19 reportedly ordering an airstrike on himself to take as many enemy fighters with him and not be captured alive has been identified as Lieutenant Alexander Prokhorenko, 25 from the village of Gorodki in the Orenburg region of Russia. He was a husband to his wife Katya and a father to a child not yet born.

Lieutenant Prokhorenko could have been our enemy yesterday or tomorrow, but as soldiers we respect the valor he displayed as a soldier himself on the battlefield and will raise a drink tonight in his honor.

Below in the comments is the transcript of his last radio call as it was posted on the pro Kremlin semiofficial website Pravda.ru .

Prokhorenko : command I am compromised, I repeat I am compromised.

Command: Please say again and confirm.

Prokhorenko : They have spotted me, there are shooting everywhere, I am pinned, requesting immediate extraction.

Command: Extraction request acknowledged.

Prokhorenko : Please hurry I am low on ammo, they seem to [be]everywhere, I can’t hold them for too long please hurry.

Command: Confirmed, hold them off, continue returning fire, retreat to a safe position, air support is monitoring, state your coordinates

Prokhorenko : [gives coordinates which are blurred in the transcript]

Command: [command repeats coordinates which are blurred.]Confirm

Prokhorenko : Confirmed, please hurry I am low on ammo, they are surrounding me, bastards!

Command: ETA on evacuation 12 minutes, return to the green line, I repeat return to the green line.

Prokhorenko : They are close, I am surrounded, this may be the end, tell my family I love them dearly.

Command: Return to the green line, continue returning fire, help is on the way, followed by air support.

Prokhorenko : Negative, I am surrounded, they are so many of these bastards!

Command: Extract ETA 10 minutes, return to the green line.

Prokhorenko : I can’t they have surrounded me and are closing in, please hurry.

Command: return to the green line, I repeat return to the green line.

Prokhorenko : They are outside, conduct the airstrike now please hurry, this is the end, tell my family I love them and i died fighting for my motherland.

Command: Negative, return to the green line.

Prokhorenko : Unable command, I am surrounded, they are outside, I don’t want them to take me and parade me, conduct the airstrike, they will make a mockery of me and this uniform. I want to die with dignity and take all these bastards with me. please my last wish, conduct the airstrike, they will kill me either way.

Command: Please confirm your request.

Prokhorenko : They [are] outside, this is the end commander, thank you, tell my family and my country I love them. Tell them I was brave and I fought until I could no longer. Please take care of my family, avenge my death, good bye commander, tell my family I love them!

Command: [No response, orders the airstrike]

If you’ve clicked on the hyperlinks and explored the story as it’s being presented, you are probably thinking to yourself, “This could be right out of a movie.” You’d be right. Real life very rarely follows a narrative story arc. Analyzing the material skeptically, we’ve already established that someone, somewhere, was engaged in disinformation regarding the identity of the soldier.

With Lt. Prokhorenko, Western media was given a wealth of personal and persuasive information about the subject’s life, marriage, and even his wife—mother to his unborn child. Our heartstrings are so predictably plucked. Russia reports having lost seven soldiers in Syria. This is the only instance where information was made public without weeks of delay. It is the only time that any personal information at all has been released about the deceased, much less such intimate and private details.

Looking at those details, another unlikely aspect emerges. Prokhorenko is identified as as lieutenant (not even a senior lieutenant), which, like in the U.S. Army, is a very junior grade of officer. Prokhorenko is essentially fresh out of his commissioning. Are we to believe that in Russia, a newly minted officer can train and qualify into the Spetsnaz and then be assigned a solo recce mission to call in air strikes? Really?

Reading through the transcript gives us additional grammatical and semantic clues regarding the veracity of the story. First, you’ll notice the extensive use of polite communication. Now, there are those who argue that Russian is a very polite language and others who argue it is not. This disagreement largely has to do with the distinction between formality and politeness. While not an absolute, it would be safe to presume that when facing certain death and communicating via radio, Russians (like Americans) aren’t likely to express repetitive use of the words ‘please’ or ‘thank you.’

Inappropriate politeness is an indicator of deception. As we get to the end of the transcript, could Prokhorenko’s last two transmissions have been more evocative, more patriotic, more heroic, if they were carefully scripted? Not likely. When under fire, verbose eloquence and respectful goodbyes to your family (not to mention your commander, who happens to actually be receiving your air strike requests) are not easily produced. Is it Russian protocol to remain dramatically silent in the case of a danger-close air strike, conveniently leaving the story’s protagonist with the last heroic words? Maybe, but if they are anything like every other military in the world, they communicate when a fire mission is out.

There are simply too many markers of deception in this narrative to accept it without skepticism. We have elements that are unrealistic, elements that contradict each other, and elements that are very unlikely. We have a compelling and persuasive story arc, an artifact of good fiction. We have deviations from organizational response baselines. We have individual markers of deception and scripting in the transcript.

We can say with near-absolute certainty that not only is this story Russian propaganda, but that it is riddled with significant markers of deception and disinformation.

So, Americans, especially veterans and service members, please stop making the jobs of Russian psychological warfare operatives so easy.
https://sofrep.com/50125/russias-viral-propaganda-hero/

Miksi ei saunan taakse ? Karkkiako pitäisi antaa ja halia ja terpiaa jne. Yksikään niistä saastoista ei ansaitse elää. Pakolaiskriisi alkoi kauan ennen kuin Venäjä oli edes aloittanut Syyria operaationsa. Venäjä aloitti operaation loka-marraskuussa, siihen menneessä täällä oli jo kunnon pakolaiskriisi. Oliskohan tuon pakolaiskriisin syy ihan länsimaissa itessään kun tukevat hulluja, jotka saavat liikkeelle tuollaisia massoja (Huom, ISIS, Al-Nusra ja toverit jne.)

Jos ilmaisin itseäni väärin, niin tarkoitin sitä, että saunan taakse, mutta ei siten, että siitä syntyy pakolaistulva. Venäjä tuli taisteluihin mukaan myöhässä, koska heidän liittolainen oli pulassa. Mutta ryssien ohjastuksella se pakolaistulva saatiin aikaan tai sitten he keksivät lietsoa sitä, koska heidän etunsa sitä vaati. Ja pointti oli se, että putte ei ansaitse mitään palkintoa koska päätti ajaa agendaansa lietsomalla pakolaistilannetta. Typerät poliitikot toki tekivät tilanteen mahdolliseksi.

Vai eivät länsimaat tyrkytä demokratiaa missä maailmassa sä oikein elät. Afganistan, Irak, Libya, Egypti, montakohan kymmentä Afrikan maata, Väli-Amerikassa kaadettu halltuksia ja taas laitettu pystyyn uusia ja taas kadettu ja kaikki demokratian ja ihmisoikeuksien nimissä. Kaikista hauskinta tässä on se, että länsimaat eivät edes ole kiinnostuneita onko jossakin maassa edes demokratiaa kunhan se on "ystävä". Otetaanpa esimerkki klassinen sellainen. Saudi-Arabia on sama kuin ISIS ideologia on sama, ISIS:n papit saarnaavat juuri samalla tavalla kuin Saudi-Arabian uskonoppineet, ei mitään eroa retoriikassa. Saudi-Arabiaa pahempaa tyranniaa on vaikea löytää ehkä Pohjois-Korea menee samalla tasolla. Silti länsimaat pitävät Saudi-Arabiaa ystävänä, katsovat sivusta kun jokainen vähänkin eri mieltä oleva kokee pään katkomis tuomion, ihmisoikeuksista ei ole tietoakaan puhumattakaan naisista. Saudi-Arabiaan ei vaadita demokratiaa mutta Syyriaan vaaditaan joka on SEKULAARI valtio missä meni väärin ?

Haluaisitko nyt päättää, että tyrkytetäänkö sitä demokratiaa vai ei? Mitä taas tulee tuohon viimeiseen lauseeseen, niin mikä estää vaatimasta? Onko se jotenkin väärin? Etenkään jos sitä ei aleta asevoimien avulla sanelemaan, saati samoin kuin kommunismia "tyrkytettiin" etenkin vallankumouksen jälkeen!

Turha siis selittää tuollaista sekoilua, millään auttamis haluilla, ei länsimaita kiinnosta auttaa ketään, varsinkaan muslimivaltioita. Annetaanpa vielä toinen esimerkki kun päästiin vauhtiin Egypti. Egyptin vallankumous oli länsimaiden kannalta ei toivottu, koska vallassa oli "ystävä" Mubarak. Noh vallankumous kuitenkin jatkui ja Mubarak väistyi ja egyptiläiset pääsivät äänestämään demokraattisesti ja kaikki meni hyvin.......egyptiläisten mielestä. Länsimaiden mielestä,kaikki meni päin helvettiä, egyptiläiset idiootit menivät äänestämään VÄÄRIN. He kehtasivat äänestää muslimiveljeskuntaa valtaan ja tästähän länsimaat suuttuivat USA ilmoitti sulkevansa rahahanat (koska eihän nyt saatana ex-terroristeja voida avustaa), äänestystulosta pidettiin valitettavana, kauheana jne. Sitten hupsista keikkaa armeija teki vallakaappauksen ja Sisi tuli valtaan ja länsimaat, eivät edes moittineet tätä, vain päinvastoin oltiin iloisia, että kaikki palasi järjestykseen taas.

Periaatteessa voidaan sanoa, että auttamishalulla ei ole asian kanssa tekemistä, koska länsi hyötyy siitä jos joku diktatuuri länsimaistuu ja on muutenkin kehittyvä ja vakaa valtio. Mutta onko sitten väärin toivoa tätä heille? Ja jälleen onko väärin edistää tälläistä?

Länsimaiden tekopyhyys on niin omaa luokkaansa, etteen voi edes moittia Venäjää taikka Kiinaa tai muutakaan maailman valtioita, hyvä vaan, että pitävät päänsä ja antavat vastustusta tälle hulluudelle mitä "demokratian vienniksi" kutsutaan.

En tiedä siitä, että voiko tuota sanoa tekopyhyydeksi, koska länsimaissa asioista ollaan useaa mieltä, mikä on systeemille tyypillistä. Jotkut pitävät "demokratian viemistä" ideologisena periaatteena, mutta useimmat näkevät tuon tarpeen puuttua asiaan tarpeellisena, koska puuttumatta jättäminen olisi pitkässä juoksussa loputon riesan lähde. Poliitikolle se olisi poliittisesti kestämätöntä, kun pitäisi jokaisen terrori-iskun jälkeen selittää, että "ei kannata puuttua!"

Ja pitää vielä todeta, että useimmat diktatuurit pitävät länsimaita vihollisena, koska ne saavat heidän valtion näyttämään huonolta kansan silmissä ja tätä ei pystytä peittämään kansalta. Joten puuttumatta oleminen ei ole vaihtoehto, aina siellä on joku diktaattori, joka päättää puuttua "länsimaiseen hapatukseen tms." ja iskeä ensin.

@Merten sheriffi se jaksaa puolustaa Venäläisiä ja niiden toimia.
Usa on aina paha ja Venäjä hyvä.

Asiaan.
https://sofrep.com/50125/russias-viral-propaganda-hero/
Russia’s viral hero story almost certainly Kremlin propaganda

BY SALIL PURI 04.04.2016#EXPERT ANALYSISEMAIL SHARE TWEET

You’ve probably heard about the Russian special operations troop killed recently in Syria. As the story goes, he was alone, low on ammo, and surrounded by Daesh attackers. He called in an air strike on his own position, martyring himself to kill the enemy hordes converging on his position. If you read SOFREP regularly, you’ve probably already seen Jack Murphy’s scathing deconstruction of this narrative. Unfortunately, that piece wasn’t the final nail in this absurd coffin. No, the story continues.

Russian psychological warfare operatives are astute. As Murphy observed, it doesn’t matter if informed consumers see the propaganda for what it is. What matters is that their audiences don’t. Undoubtedly this story has created a swelling of national pride among Russians, and good for them. The problem is that Russian propaganda continues to gain unfathomable traction here in the West. Although Moscow is pushing the narrative through Kremlin mouthpieces like Russia Today and Pravda, British tabloids were more than eager to spread the message. Despite enormous cause for skepticism, even mainstream sources like the Washington Post began including this tale in reports on Syria.
En mä mikään Venäjän fani ole. Korkeintaan pidin niistä Vuokkiniemen suomenkielisistä mummoista ketkä kertoivat minulle kokemuksiaan sota-ajalta elämäni ainoalla Venäjän reissulla vuonna 2005.
Siskon perhe asuu Floridan auringossa ja siellä tulee vuosittain käytyä. Paljon olen erilaisten ihmisten kanssa siellä turpo aiheestakin keskustellut. Sorry osittainen offtopic.

ULKOMAAT
Kapinallisten sanotaan ampuneen Syyrian koneen alas
ARNO RYDMAN
20 minuuttia sitten(päivitetty 16 minuuttia sitten)
Jihadistijärjestö Al-Nusran kerrotaan ottaneen syyrialaisen lentäjän kiinni Aleppossa.

• 3fc6ca682f38933f6b267f07afe91a6b2a7d1333a88846916265b0d669268641

Syyrialaislentäjä väitetysti laskeutuu laskuvarjolla maahan videolla.

(Michael Horowitz/Twitter)
Ihmisoikeusjärjestö the Syrian Observatory for Human Rightsin mukaan sotilaskone on ammuttu ala Syyrian Aleppossa, kertoo The Independent.

Järjestön mukaan lentokone syttyi tuleen ennen putoamistaan Talat al-Issin ylängölle.

Lentokoneen sanotaan olevan Syyrian Ilmavoimien neuvostoliittolaisvalmisteinen Su-22-hävittäjäpommittaja, joka ammuttiin alas ilmatorjuntaohjuksella. Lentäjän kerrotaan pelastautuneen heittoistuimella. Tietoa ei ole kuitenkaan toistaiseksi varmistettu.

Kapinallislähteiden mukaan al-Qaidaan kuuluva jihadistijärjestö Al-Nusran rintama on ottanut lentäjän kiinni.

Sosiaalisessa mediassa julkaistulla videolla, joka väitetysti näyttää lentokoneen maahansyöksyn, lentäjä näyttää käyttävän laskuvarjoaan laskeutuessaan maahan, jonka jälkeen oppositiojoukot ottavat hänet kiinni.

Toinen sosiaalisessa mediassa julkaistu video väitetysti näyttää liekehtivän koneen syöksyvän maahan.

Videoiden aitoutta ei ole voitu varmistaa.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/2016040621376550_ul.shtml

Raportti paljastaa: Venäjä ei juuri Isisiä pommittanut

Torstai 7.4.2016 klo 05.58

Atlantic Council -järjestön raportin mukaan Venäjä ei juuri pommittanut Isisiä Syyrian-operaatiossaan.

Raportin mukaan Venäjä pommitti lähinnä siviili infraa ja muuta Al-Assadin vastaista oppositiota.
Ymmärrän kyllä miksi ISIS jätettiin rauhaan, mutta miksi pommittaa sairaaloita ja jätevedenpuhdistamoita?
Vai onko Venäjän kysy tiedustella maaleja sittenkään miim hyvä kuin olemme ajatelleet? Eivätkö "kaikennäkevät" sateliitit sittenkään ole löytäneet kohteitaan?

http://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/2016040621376550_ul.shtml

Raportti paljastaa: Venäjä ei juuri Isisiä pommittanut

Torstai 7.4.2016 klo 05.58

Atlantic Council -järjestön raportin mukaan Venäjä ei juuri pommittanut Isisiä Syyrian-operaatiossaan.

Raportin mukaan Venäjä pommitti lähinnä siviili infraa ja muuta Al-Assadin vastaista oppositiota.
Ymmärrän kyllä miksi ISIS jätettiin rauhaan, mutta miksi pommittaa sairaaloita ja jätevedenpuhdistamoita?
Vai onko Venäjän kysy tiedustella maaleja sittenkään miim hyvä kuin olemme ajatelleet? Eivätkö "kaikennäkevät" sateliitit sittenkään ole löytäneet kohteitaan?

Onko Atlanttiseuralla omat satelliitiit, kun niin tarkasti tietävät? Ja jos he tai kumppaninsa ISIS:n liikkeet erinomaisesti tuntevat, mikseivät toimi sitten itse? Infran pommittaminen ei ole erehdystä, Serbiassa 15 vuotta sitten:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NATO_bombing_of_Novi_Sad#Impact_on_infrastructure

Onko Atlanttiseuralla omat satelliitiit, kun niin tarkasti tietävät? Ja jos he tai kumppaninsa ISIS:n liikkeet erinomaisesti tuntevat, mikseivät toimi sitten itse? Infran pommittaminen ei ole erehdystä, Serbiassa 15 vuotta sitten:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NATO_bombing_of_Novi_Sad#Impact_on_infrastructure

Onhan tästä ollut juttua kun Obama ei ole sallinut kuin pienen osan iskuja joita sotilasjohto on esittänyt tehtäväksi...eli army olisi halunnut ja kyennyt mutta Poliittinen ameeba ei käskyä kyennyt tai halunnut antaa...?

Se koira älähtää, johon kalikka kalahtaa?:p

En ottanut kantaa länsivaltojen kykyyn lainkaan. Totesin vain, ettei sateliitti- ja lentotiedustelu ole sittenkään kaiken näkeväsilmä jolta ei voi välttyä.
Tämän tarkoitin tuomaan toisenlaista näkökulmaa keskusteluihin kotimaan puolustukseen.

http://m.firstpost.com/world/senior...killed-in-us-air-strike-in-syria-2720116.html

Senior Al-Qaeda fighter Rifai Ahmad Taha killed in US air strike in Syria

Beirut: A senior Egyptian al-Qaeda figure fighting in Syria was killed in a US drone strike this week, the latest to be killed in such attacks in Syria, a Syrian opposition monitoring group and relatives said on Friday.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Rifai Ahmad Taha was killed in a strike Tuesday in the northwestern Idlib province.

Before joining al-Qaida, Taha was a top figure in Egypt's notorious militant group Gamaa Islamiya, which massacred 58 foreign tourists in the ancient Egyptian city of Luxor in 1997.

He was also allied with Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan.

The Observatory's chief Rami Abdurrahman said several al-Qaeda members, including Taha, were killed in Tuesday's strike. He said one of the dead was identified as Abu Omar al-Masri - which is Arabic for Abu Omar the Egyptian - but that it was not clear if Taha was using that name.

Taha was believed to be in his 60s.

In Egypt, a relative said that Taha's wife and brother have received confirmation about his death. The relative spoke on condition of anonymity fearing reprisals.

In Washington, Department of Defense spokesman Matthew Allen said the US struck a vehicle killing several al-Qaeda militants. He added that officials are still assessing the strike.

"I can confirm that the US struck a vehicle killing several AQ militants," said Allen, using an acronym to refer to al-Qaida. "The results of this strike are still being assessed."

On Wednesday, Syria's al-Qaida branch known as the Nusra Front confirmed the death of Abu Firas al-Souri, a senior figure in the group, in a US airstrike that also took place in Idlib province.

Al-Souri was killed on Sunday, the group said.

Taha's relative said dozens of members of Islamic groups were paying condolences today to the family at the home of his brother, Gharib, in the southern Egyptian village of Nagaa Dunqal.

According to the relative, Taha had told his family he believes he is being followed and just three days before his death he called his brother from Syria to tell him that the Americans are monitoring his movements.

Taha was jailed in 2001 in Egypt under the rule of then-President Hosni Mubarak after being detained in Syria and handed over to Cairo.

He was released after the long-serving leader was removed from power in 2011.

US report: Hezbollah building ballistic missile base in Syria

According to a report by Stratfor, Hezbollah has been consolidating positions it conquered from Syrian rebels in June 2013.

syriabase.jpg

Lebanese terrorist organization Hezbollah has built an underground base which can be used to store ballistic missiles, US intelligence company Stratfor reported on Thursday.

Diplomatic sources linked with the terror group told Stratfor that Hezbollah was planning to further strengthen its presence in Syria by building more military bases. Satellite images of an area around Qusair show that villages up to four kilometers from the base have been razed to enable clear observation. Tunnels have also reportedly been dug from the base back to Lebanon.

According to the report, this base is part of Hezbollah's planned strategy to defend itself, and the whole of Lebanon, from various threats it might face in case Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is overthrown.

http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news...report-hezbollah-building-base-in-syria-20328

Vähän vielä ja Putte joutuu laittamaan taas leijansa liikekannalle.
Ehkä se helpottaa Ukrainaan kohdistuvaa painetta.

Vanhassa vara parempi?

Yikes — Syrian Rebels Wield Old Aircraft Machine Guns
These guns will spew lead, but they're not very accurate on the ground

m2-syria-640x300.jpg

After years of civil war and with a seemingly endless list of different groups and foreign benefactors, the arsenals of Syria’s rebel and terrorist factions have become diverse and eclectic.

Locked in what has become a brutal war of attrition, fighters can’t afford to turn down any weapon … even old machine guns meant for airplanes or helicopters.

In November 2011, the Turkistan Islamic Party, an Al Qaeda-linked group of ethnic Uighurs historically rooted in Central Asia, released a photograph of a fighter manning what appeared to be either an M-2 or M-3 Browning aircraft machine gun. More than
four years later, the Salafist coalition Ahrar ash-Sham released its own photos showing off the same types of guns.

The weapons are ill-suited to being used on the ground, although they are deadly. With the rebels seeking any weapons they can get, a .50-caliber machine gun is a still a .50-caliber machine gun, no matter what the manufacturer had in mind.

m2-syria-2.jpg

Above and at top — Ahrar al Sham fighters with M-2 aircraft guns in Syria. Via Twitter

The history of the iconic Browning weapon — commonly just called the “50-cal” or “Ma Deuce” — dates all the way back to the end of World War I. Originally designed to shoot up enemy troops and vehicles, U.S. Army weaponeers quickly adapted the guns to warplanes.

By World War II, all the American services had versions for infantry, tanks, armored cars, ships, fighters and bombers. With a thick barrel, the standard M-2 infantry model — a.k.a., the M-2HB, for heavy barrel — weighed more than 80 pounds and could spit out 500 half-inch bullets every 60 seconds.

To handle fast-moving enemy planes, engineers modified the aircraft versions to fire up to 850 rounds per minute. With cold air blowing across the guns in flight, the airborne types could have lighter barrels without overheating.

It is easy to differentiate the two different versions by looking for the ground variant’s solid barrel or the aircraft variant’s perforated heat shield full of cooling holes. Some observers, including the Long War Journal‘s Threat Matrix blog, have misidentified the weapons in Syria as smaller .30-caliber Browning M-1919s because of the ventilated barrel jacket.

m2-syria-3.jpg

A Turkistan Islamic Party fighter with an M-2 aircraft gun in Syria. Photo via The Long War Journal

http://warisboring.com/articles/on-the-ground-in-syria-fighters-are-using-old-aircraft-machine-guns/

Al-Nusra hyökkää useassa paikassa yhtäaikaa, ilmeisesti tietäen, ettei ulkomaisia Shia-joukkoja, Assadin joukkojen rippeistä puhumattakaan, riitä joka paikkaan.

Juuri tulleen tiedon mukaan Venäjän ilmavoimien Mil Mi-28N on tuhoutunut Homsin lähellä Syyriassa. Lentäjät kuolleet, ruumiit evakuoitu. Mitä ilmeisimmin kyseessä tekninen ongelma, koska alueella ei ole havaittu MANPADSeja tms.

Lähde:

vlad

Back