Diskussion om kriget i Ukraina, med deltagare - Discussion on war in Ukraine, with participant

I think we've come to the pretty much same conclusions here at maanpuolustus.net too. It looked like Ukraine was about to end the insurgency in eastern Ukraine when things changed without any plausible official explanation from Russia or "Novorussia". Everything pointed to the direction of Russia supplying equipment and manpower.

What do you think happened with MH17? Russian BUK with russian operators or some variation with local captured equipment and operators?

I have no idea about the flight or what happened. If I have to guess, my best one is that the separatists shot it down, by mistake - a simple fuck up. And if you ask me it is of course a tradgedy, but (if Id be right, again) a mistake none the less - the airliner did fly over a warzone after all. They should have admitted it right away, not starting to use it as propaganda tool and play the blamegame.

Again, pointing out - this is just what I think. My guess is as good as yours.

Hi CL!

Now I have a few questions for You:

Aimpoint, AGOG or Elcan?

Can foreign volunteers use their own weaponry or is it mandatory to use given guns by UA?

Which makers platecarrier do You use? Pros and cons?

Hi CL!

Now I have a few questions for You:

Aimpoint, AGOG or Elcan?

Can foreign volunteers use their own weaponry or is it mandatory to use given guns by UA?

Which makers platecarrier do You use? Pros and cons?

Uh, dont even know what Elcan is. I use an old Weaver 2,5X scope I ripped off of my moosegun before coming here. Like a hobo. It works. But if it wasnt because of the long distances you encounter here, I probably wouldnt use it since ive had to remove the irons to mount it.
About optics and things like that, each has their own advantage over the other. Id still say that regular iron sights is the safest bet for any situation.

Well, if a volunteer somehow would get his gun past customs, I dont think anyone here in the warzone would mind.

Dont know the maker really, I just grabbed something that looked decent in a store here while in Kiev. I think its some cheap airsoft crap, but it has held together quite well. Only real problem with the PC is that it offers no side protection, and the equipment you can carry with it alone is very limited. A belt is most often needed to complement it.

Viimeksi muokattu:
Hi CL!

Thanks for answers. Heres a few more questions.

Uh, dont even know what Elcan is.

Elcan Spectre:
Elcan_Specter_DR.jpg

Well, if a volunteer somehow would get his gun past customs, I dont think anyone here in the warzone would mind.

Let`s say, if someone somehow could get his (hers) rifle into Ukraine and it`s chambered 5,56x45 Nato, what do You think, how difficult it would be to supply ammo like that nowadays in there?

Dont know the maker really, I just grabbed something that looked decent in a store here while in Kiev. I think its some cheap airsoft crap, but it has held together quite well. Only real problem with the PC is that it offers no side protection, and the equipment you can carry with it alone is very limited. A belt is most often needed to complement it.

How are military surplus and gun stores doing now down there? I mean, is there anything to sell or is everything long gone by now?

Let`s say, if someone somehow could get his (hers) rifle into Ukraine and it`s chambered 5,56x45 Nato, what do You think, how difficult it would be to supply ammo like that nowadays in there?

We do have one machinegun-type which uses the 5.56, but as you would expect, ammunition is scarce for it.

How are military surplus and gun stores doing now down there? I mean, is there anything to sell or is everything long gone by now?

Well, lets just say that buisness is booming.

I think its some cheap airsoft crap, but it has held together quite well. Only real problem with the PC is that it offers no side protection, and the equipment you can carry with it alone is very limited.

How many mags you carry in PC? More than 6? What other stuff you carry?

A belt is most often needed to complement it.

How about pistols? Do you think that they are useful in combat or just useless extra weight?

How many mags you carry in PC? More than 6? What other stuff you carry?

On PC only two 30 rds. In belt two more 30 rds and three 45 rds. Would like some more big ones but thats what I have for now. Still waiting to get new PKM. My old one stepped on a AT-mine while I was on leave...

Other stuff differs. Usually just protective glasses (one guy here died from small piece of shrapnel in the eye, so its good to have), extra gloves and socks, straps, knife. I try to bring the camera along too but its not often I get to use it.

How about pistols? Do you think that they are useful in combat or just useless extra weight?

For a guy with a normal AK74 I see no real need for it. But for machinegunners, snipers etc its always useful to have a light secondary weapon. Sucks to hunk the PKM around all the time, if not for any other reason..

Do you have any night vision equipment available? I would imagine that in darkness better equipped force is in great advantage.

Hello @Sinkomies!

Welcome to the forum, it will be very interesting to read this topic - it give one more piece to fill up this big picture!

I have follow crisis and war in Ukraine since EuroMajdan and of course with great interest battle in Donbass area, where my great friend L lived till August 2014, when she need leave Donetsk. Living in Donetsk became too risky to Ukrainian nationalist.

I wish you good luck and keep your head safe!

vlad.

Tjenare! Tyvärr jag pratar bara lite svenska. Eastern border didn't have many Swedish-speakers around, so very little motivation to learn the language...

Just wanted to say thanks for your contributions here and in Ukraine in particular. Very interesting and relevant information; specifically, all the tips you might have for Finnish military/reservist training, equipment, etc. are probably going to be highly interesting!

Good luck!

Välkommen Sinkomies.

Det sägs bland jägare att en lyckönskning skulle betyda otur.

Istället;

Headwinds and calm shooting.:uzi:

Do you have any night vision equipment available? I would imagine that in darkness better equipped force is in great advantage.

We have some, always in need of more. The few we have guys have bought for themselves. Mostly genII. Also some thermal.

Could you describe any daily routines you have when in operation? What takes time? What aspects of daily life in armed conflict have been most surprising or against your previous expectations?

Hello.

What kind of organization you have in your platoon and squad? How many men in squad, do you work on pairs or half squads (patrols)? How many machine guns you have? How are the RPG:s organized?

Thank you.

Cheers mr. Sinkomies. I'm interested in the ethnic background of the men in the volunteer battallions. How many are from Ukraine, how many from abroad? Did you have a choice what troop to join, if so what made you join Azov or were they simply the "easiest" (or the only) possibility to join for a foreigner?

Do you know if you are the only person of Finnish background who is serving on Ukrainian side - there have been rumors of Finnish citizens fighting on Ukrainian side since the start of the conflict, but as far as I can tell you are the only one who is publicly known.

I have some questions about UAVs:

What types of UAVs have been encountered?

How do they operate?

Do ukrainian forces have means to shoot them down?

Do they (UAVs) fly always high as possible or do they need to come closer to the ground at the times (possibly because sensors can't see from maximum altitude so well)?

Can a IR-seeking missile (MANPADS in particular) get a lock on an UAV and if you can tell, how well?

What are the preferred methods of shooting down UAVs?

These questions aren't neccessarily directed to you as this isn't exactly your speciality but i think that others here would like to know also how to deal with UAVs.

Back