Diskussion om kriget i Ukraina, med deltagare - Discussion on war in Ukraine, with participant

Could you describe any daily routines you have when in operation? What takes time? What aspects of daily life in armed conflict have been most surprising or against your previous expectations?

Waiting, waiting takes the most time. Not much to say about daily routines other than that. Not sure if anything has been suprising, I came here with a clean mind, not expecting anything.

Hello.

What kind of organization you have in your platoon and squad? How many men in squad, do you work on pairs or half squads (patrols)? How many machine guns you have? How are the RPG:s organized?

Thank you.

In this volunteerbatalion we work in so called "groups", wich could be said as to be equal to platoons. Above theese you have youre usual company levels and so forth, but we dont really have any given squads or so below grouplevel. When a mission i presented, they say for example "we need x-amount of guys from x-group, with x and y specialities" - then volunteers step up and form a squad or whatever special for that mission in particular. Its good in someways, of course, bad in others. But we try to make work with the strenghts in our favour.

Cheers mr. Sinkomies. I'm interested in the ethnic background of the men in the volunteer battallions. How many are from Ukraine, how many from abroad? Did you have a choice what troop to join, if so what made you join Azov or were they simply the "easiest" (or the only) possibility to join for a foreigner?

Mostly Ukrainians, of course, after that you have a minority of different foreigners - mainly russians and then belorussians. The next biggest group is likley the georgians. After that its a different mix of nationalities, but this one is very small, only ten guys or something. When I came here Azov was the only unit I knew to take foreigners. I know now that there is one foreigner here and one there too, in many other units as well. But theese are probably people who have known friend or something in theese units and has gotten in that way.

Do you know if you are the only person of Finnish background who is serving on Ukrainian side - there have been rumors of Finnish citizens fighting on Ukrainian side since the start of the conflict, but as far as I can tell you are the only one who is publicly known.

Cannot really talk about issues like theese.

How can I donate money to you, Mr. Löfroos?

We have a small fundraiser set up for our small team here http://www.gofundme.com/l0ta0k?fb_a...36&fb_action_types=og.shares&fb_ref=fb_d_m_i3
Every cent is worth something.

I have some questions about UAVs:

What types of UAVs have been encountered?

How do they operate?

Do ukrainian forces have means to shoot them down?

Do they (UAVs) fly always high as possible or do they need to come closer to the ground at the times (possibly because sensors can't see from maximum altitude so well)?

Can a IR-seeking missile (MANPADS in particular) get a lock on an UAV and if you can tell, how well?

What are the preferred methods of shooting down UAVs?

These questions aren't neccessarily directed to you as this isn't exactly your speciality but i think that others here would like to know also how to deal with UAVs.

Dont know about UAV's, except that both sides use small civilan drones.

C

Mostly Ukrainians, of course, after that you have a minority of different foreigners - mainly russians and then belorussians. The next biggest group is likley the georgians. After that its a different mix of nationalities, but this one is very small, only ten guys or something. When I came here Azov was the only unit I knew to take foreigners. I know now that there is one foreigner here and one there too, in many other units as well. But theese are probably people who have known friend or something in theese units and has gotten in that way.

Wow. Did you just say Russian. Who are they? Why they fight? What are motives?
So there is Russians against russians too. Never heard that before

Do you have any health insurance arrangements?
Do you have a tourist visa in Ukraine?
Have you noticed any cultural differences when it comes to ear protection? One guy having double protection and next guy nothing etc..

Wow. Did you just say Russian. Who are they? Why they fight? What are motives?
So there is Russians against russians too. Never heard that before

I know at least some of them are russian nationlists who for one reason or another dislike Putin, others are just simple anti-communists who arent that nostalgic of the USSR. But each guy probably has his own, different motives, and I cannot say I know them to well.

Do you have any health insurance arrangements?
Do you have a tourist visa in Ukraine?
Have you noticed any cultural differences when it comes to ear protection? One guy having double protection and next guy nothing etc..

1) No. I put my trust in god, I guess.

2) No special visa. Anyone (in general) can visit Ukraine for three months in total during a six month period. I think Ive overstayed my time now, but this is Ukraine - their byrocracy is a bit different than what were used to. Helping them in the ATO-zone is a good argument not be thrown in jail too, I suppose..

3) Some guys who can afford it uses active hearingprotection, wich I definetly recommend in an enviroment like this. Others usually use simple earplugs during training, and nothing during missions. I use my peltors issued from the Swedish Homeguard. Since those cowards more or less jumped on the bandwagon when media in Sweden drew links between me (us) and the pigfuckers who join the Islamic State and more, they can go have intercourse with themselves thinking I will return them until Im done here..

Mukana ollaan yrittämässä, laitan vielä tänään päivityksen jos tuo "jotain konkreettista" onnistuu. Pidetään peukkuja.
No goal. :(

I asked a site staff from a bigger site (320k active accounts) that could it be possible to make a thread of its own from that gofundme link what we have here now, but they have allready 3 fund raiser threads going on, what is theirs max limit, so it was a no goal.

we already have 3 fund raisers on the go. I limit it to 3 max because any more and the response drops for all of them. we would love to help everyone but we simply can't. It overwhelms the membership.
Sorry.
George

Sorry :(

TIEDOTUS:

Muutaman viikon sisään käynnistyy myös kotimaassamme allekirjoittaneen ja muutaman kaverinsa organisoima avunanto-operaatio Ukrainan asevoimille. Mikäli tahdot lisätietoja, ota yhteyttä esim. yksityisviestillä. Tässä vaiheessa voimme sen verran kertoa, että operaatio sisältää varainkeruuta, koulutus- ja ei-aseellista materiaaliapua sekä muuta sotaponnistuksia suoraan hyödyttävää toimintaa. Koko homman idea on ns. hands-on approach eli paskanjauhanta sikseen ja hommiin. Kun ensimmäinen etappi on saavutettu (n.3 viikkoa), aloitamme operaation julkisen vaiheen ja tiedotamme siitä mm. maanpuolustus.netin, SoMen yms. kautta. Pyydämme, että jokainen asialle myötämielinen taho antaa panoksensa asian eteen, vähin mitä voi tehdä on paina "jaa"-nappia Facebookissa ;)

Ps: Ihan Vitun iso käsi kaikille tonne GoFundMe:hen lahjoittaneille. HAKKAA PÄÄLLE!!! :uzi:

Since I started this thread, I remind that the ground rules here are posting in English or Swedish. This is to enable @Sinkomies to follow the discussion.
The funding initiatives are commendable, but let us also keep our friend up to the discussion.

I'm not a moderator, and the above is only a reminder of the start of the thread.

David,
The questions have already been asked from Carolus, but I'll ask you also, since perceptions can be individual.

What is your perception of the military training the other volunteers in Azov Battalion had?
Are there big differences?

What was the best level and what was the worst level?

How did your training in Sweden prepare you for battle?

@Sinkomies

I would like to ask about communications equipment, electronic warfare and associated policies. I understand the limitations of OPSEC so you comment on what you can, okay?

1) What kind of communications equipment is used by Ukrainian and Russian sides? Do cellular networks and other civilian communications infrastructure really play that big a part as has been portrayed in media?
2) Have there been attempts by the Russians to hinder your (Azov and also Ukrainian troops in general) communications?
3) What type of device do you use to connect to this forum? Do you have limitations on what electronic devices you can bring to the frontline?
4) Do you have any kind of a public relations code? Are you allowed to talk freely but advised to use common sense or is media work conducted by senior officers?

Hello

I just joined this forum, I'm being reading discussion here for couple of weeks now and finally got enough courage to join.
I wanted to ask @Sinkomies how did u join up? did u just walked at azov office and joined in and if u don't speak russian or ukraine how u communicate with other soldiers and officers.
Keep your head down, move fast and aim accurate.

Pavlopil var inte blank (ren). Kan du berätta något?

Viimeksi muokattu:
David,
The questions have already been asked from Carolus, but I'll ask you also, since perceptions can be individual.

What is your perception of the military training the other volunteers in Azov Battalion had?
Are there big differences?

What was the best level and what was the worst level?

How did your training in Sweden prepare you for battle?

Foreigners often had very good training. Most had several years of professional experience from the best outfits in their home countries. Ukrainians not so much though. Some were very good, others were not. Most high officers were shit.

Best level: 5+ years in Foreign Legion.
Worst level: No experience but thinking you are hardcore operator. Those guys were dangerous to us. I became a safety-nazi when does guys were around.

My training in Sweden didn't prepare me much.
Physically I was doing fine.
But weapons wise not so much. I'm from the days when the training mostly consisted of being able to live out in the woods/mountains. We didn't have body armour in my days so moving around and shooting stances were different.
We didn't train CQB at all in my outfit in Sweden. Now it's all about fast shooting/reloading and moving in smart ways. But we had good instructors, (our own), and we trained a lot. Loved that.

@Sinkomies

I would like to ask about communications equipment, electronic warfare and associated policies. I understand the limitations of OPSEC so you comment on what you can, okay?

1) What kind of communications equipment is used by Ukrainian and Russian sides? Do cellular networks and other civilian communications infrastructure really play that big a part as has been portrayed in media?

Don't want to answer that one. But I can tell you that communications were shit. We really need good and secure communication systems so if you have any, please share. At least we needed it when I was there.

2) Have there been attempts by the Russians to hinder your (Azov and also Ukrainian troops in general) communications?

At the battle of Shyrokine the cellular network went down but it can be of other reasons.

3) What type of device do you use to connect to this forum? Do you have limitations on what electronic devices you can bring to the frontline?

I'm back in Tallinn. But I don't want to answer that question.

4) Do you have any kind of a public relations code? Are you allowed to talk freely but advised to use common sense or is media work conducted by senior officers?

In the beginning they said that we couldn't talk to reporters but then nobody cared anymore.

Back