Diskussion om kriget i Ukraina, med deltagare - Discussion on war in Ukraine, with participant

OK, then back to the languages this tread is reserved for.

Tough week. Just got back last night from one weeks+ work. Ill look at the new questions later.

All I can say is that if I have myself not been 100% sure before, now I know for certain - the enemy here is not made up from miners, workers and eastern ukrainian drunkards. Theese are Russian regulars, which work, behave and plan their doings as regulars do. The first line of defence was quickly routed at Sherokyne a few days ago, but the second line held. Both sides suffered casualties, mainly from the artillery. The russians lost at least one BMP2 and one BMP and T-64 damaged. Our side lost mainly soft vehicles and to my knowledge no heavy hardware.

Hard times, hard times. Lets now see how this cease fire works out...

Tough week. Just got back last night from one weeks+ work. Ill look at the new questions later.

All I can say is that if I have myself not been 100% sure before, now I know for certain - the enemy here is not made up from miners, workers and eastern ukrainian drunkards. Theese are Russian regulars, which work, behave and plan their doings as regulars do. The first line of defence was quickly routed at Sherokyne a few days ago, but the second line held. Both sides suffered casualties, mainly from the artillery. The russians lost at least one BMP2 and one BMP and T-64 damaged. Our side lost mainly soft vehicles and to my knowledge no heavy hardware.

Hard times, hard times. Lets now see how this cease fire works out...
Hey sinkomies! Good to have you back. We were almost worried not hearing from you.

A few questions:
As far as i've heard, your batallion attacked from Mariupol to east. How far did you reach? And what is the situation now?

What about the ceasefire? Are both sides respecting the ceasefire nearby Mariupol? Do people think it will hold? Do you think Poroshenko will declare Matrial law?

What have you heard about Debaltseve? Is the situation as bad as it seems?

Anyway. I wish you the best.

Glad to see you're fine @Sinkomies. Yeah, when I heard about a convoy coming from the direction of Novoazovsk last week, I had a feeling they're not locals.

Who controls Shyrokyne at the moment? I hear you got pushed back a little, but does Azov still control it?

Viimeksi muokattu:
Hey sinkomies! Good to have you back. We were almost worried not hearing from you.

A few questions:
As far as i've heard, your batallion attacked from Mariupol to east. How far did you reach? And what is the situation now?

What about the ceasefire? Are both sides respecting the ceasefire nearby Mariupol? Do people think it will hold? Do you think Poroshenko will declare Matrial law?

What have you heard about Debaltseve? Is the situation as bad as it seems?

Anyway. I wish you the best.

We took villiages in about line with Sherokyne, east of Mariupol and held it for four days. On friday our team was sent south to Sherokyne and the next morning the enemy assault started. The old defensiveline west of the town held and the enemy took some losses as well, but the town more or less belongs to them now, or should be considered no mans land. At the moment, Donbass batallion has relieved us, but its questionable how long they will hold their ground before needing help themselves.

Well, the ceasefire mostly concerns heavy weapons. Artillery has been a lot less frequent after its implementation.

Dont know anything sure about Debaltseve, but from what Ive heard from a friend who was there - massacre.

We took villiages in about line with Sherokyne, east of Mariupol and held it for four days. On friday our team was sent south to Sherokyne and the next morning the enemy assault started. The old defensiveline west of the town held and the enemy took some losses as well, but the town more or less belongs to them now, or should be considered no mans land. At the moment, Donbass batallion has relieved us, but its questionable how long they will hold their ground before needing help themselves.

Well, the ceasefire mostly concerns heavy weapons. Artillery has been a lot less frequent after its implementation.

Dont know anything sure about Debaltseve, but from what Ive heard from a friend who was there - massacre.

So if I understand correctly, the infarty and ground vehicles are still attacking like before, but artillery is not used as much as before? Or is it used at all?

Sorry for all the questions :).

So if I understand correctly, the infarty and ground vehicles are still attacking like before, but artillery is not used as much as before? Or is it used at all?

Sorry for all the questions :).

Something like that. Fighting continues, but of course neither side can take any serious ground without artillery support. Some smaller villages may switch owners, but thats about it.

"Heavy weapons" cannot be used according to the treaty. Of course, it is still expected that the occational heavy mortarround will fall down here and there in the future to.

..at least.

Glad to see you're again, Sinkomies! :)

I'm joining the chorus in saying that it's very good to hear that you are well, @Sinkomies . I actually checked this thread a few times a day and was a little worried, but of course knew from the news that you and the other Azov guys must be having a lot on your plate right now.

It's very interesting to hear your confirmation to the same message that has been heard throughout this conflict already, I mean the all-important role of artillery and other indirect fire in effective operations. I guess when neither side wants to make Soviet-style direct infantry assaults but instead advances with caution, the role of supporting weapons gets more and more important. I hope countries like Finland take notice of this as I have read from this website that the amount of artillery has been actually reduced. Same is of course true for Sweden too but much more so.

It is heartening to hear that you and the other guys are succesfully making a stand against russian mechanized infantry "kontraktniks". There has to be a limit to what Russia can do when it's losing men and equipment at such rate and must, at least for now, keep up the lie about not directly being a side in this conflict. If it goes open with this, I bet there are NOT lines of volunteers flocking to be Kremlin's cannon fodder (at least I hope so). You're doing a great job, not just for Ukraine but for other countries like Kazakhstan, Georgia, Belarus, Armenia, even the Baltic countries, Finland and Sweden (most people in Sweden probably do not understand this). Sometimes there's this talk in Finland that we could not and should not fight at all against Russia if needed because their regular army would wipe the table so badly with our reservist army, I think this is absolute defeatist bullshit and the war in Donbass proves it.

The situation in Debaltseve sounds amazing. I really hope there is some master plan at UA leadership behind the stubborn attitude about the town, and not just that it was thought that the rebels/russians would cease fire there also. Of course it must be an important town, with the rail road and all, but getting 5000 soldiers killed or captured for no reason in there sounds something that even the russian army would not do. Terrible waste of men. Do you have any info or theories (anything you can share publicly) about the reason behind this situation?

Great pictures, by the way.

Good to have you back, Sinkomies, and thanks for the news. I put up some money for the cause, sorry I can't help more right now.

Good to have you back, Sinkomies, and thanks for the news. I put up some money for the cause, sorry I can't help more right now.
Thank you on behalf of all of our teammembers, every penny is useful!

It's very interesting to hear your confirmation to the same message that has been heard throughout this conflict already, I mean the all-important role of artillery and other indirect fire in effective operations. I guess when neither side wants to make Soviet-style direct infantry assaults but instead advances with caution, the role of supporting weapons gets more and more important. I hope countries like Finland take notice of this as I have read from this website that the amount of artillery has been actually reduced. Same is of course true for Sweden too but much more so.

Well, both sides really like the Soviet-style of assaults, but well, the Soviets also liked their artillery support. Theese guys (ie the Rus) dont fuck around when it comes to bombarding stuff.

It is heartening to hear that you and the other guys are succesfully making a stand against russian mechanized infantry "kontraktniks". There has to be a limit to what Russia can do when it's losing men and equipment at such rate and must, at least for now, keep up the lie about not directly being a side in this conflict. If it goes open with this, I bet there are NOT lines of volunteers flocking to be Kremlin's cannon fodder (at least I hope so). You're doing a great job, not just for Ukraine but for other countries like Kazakhstan, Georgia, Belarus, Armenia, even the Baltic countries, Finland and Sweden (most people in Sweden probably do not understand this). Sometimes there's this talk in Finland that we could not and should not fight at all against Russia if needed because their regular army would wipe the table so badly with our reservist army, I think this is absolute defeatist bullshit and the war in Donbass proves it.

Of course Russia is stronger, its bigger. And of course they could if they didnt care about anything else pound small Finland back to the stoneage. Its a game of numbers in that case only. But in practice, I am 100% sure that Finland could defend itself still like during the 1930s and 40s, to the extent that it would cost more than its worth for Russia. Everybody knows this.

The situation in Debaltseve sounds amazing. I really hope there is some master plan at UA leadership behind the stubborn attitude about the town, and not just that it was thought that the rebels/russians would cease fire there also. Of course it must be an important town, with the rail road and all, but getting 5000 soldiers killed or captured for no reason in there sounds something that even the russian army would not do. Terrible waste of men. Do you have any info or theories (anything you can share publicly) about the reason behind this situation?

Well I dont really know what the big masterplan about Debaltseve was, or if there even was one. They should have destroyed or even taken all the rails with them and then made a tactical retreat.

Great pictures, by the way.

Thanks. I try to keep my camera with me if the possibility presents itself.

Someone asked about light RPGs against tanks. Well, its as we know - modern light RPGs are esentially only to be considered as the Infantrys main self-defence when it comes to fighting actual tanks. Against IFVs and AFVs, they may be used offensivly yes, but as far as tanks goes, of course the armor penetration vs armor numbers doesnt work. You can disable tanks in different ways with them if needed, or scare the it away (no tanker will want to stay in the same place if shaped charges start hitting it), but not more. Only when we go up to tandem warheads like the PG7V (if I remember correct), or really heavy single ones like the APILAS, you can actually start to deal out some serious punches towards them.

Aim for tracks, fuck off and ask the artillery to please send some hate on top of it, if you have the possibility.

Back