Diskussion om kriget i Ukraina, med deltagare - Discussion on war in Ukraine, with participant

I'm gonna wright my question to sinkomies in English then too so all understand.

Have you noticed if rotation of Ukrainian forces have increased lately? There is a lot more soldiers on leave in Kiev now then it has been before. From talking to soldiers earlier they have complained about exhaustion since they don't get any or little relive from front line duty

Jag tror vi alla gått igenom den tanken många gånger. Ryssen har aldrig tagit några av oss utlänningar till fånga, men en handfull från Azov har råkat i deras händer. Tror inte någon kommit tillbaks levande. Den senaste skar tjetjenerna öronen av, högst sannolikt medans han levde. Kroppen lämnades över samtidigt som senaste fångutväxlingen skedde. Fångar förekommer från båda sidor oftast när endera sidan tar mark, naturligtvis. För Azovs del har det varit tämligen statiskt sedan i September, därav få fångar. Det är mest våra spanförband som jobbat.

Mycket utrustning är i miserabelt skick. The neglect (hittar inte svenska ordet) som skett sedan sovjets fall (och säkert innan också) har satt sina spår. 90% tror jag är lite saltad siffra, men det är ju inte bra direkt.

Precis. Ukrainarna måste få tid att lära sig sköta sig själva.

Just precis. Om ryssen tar till fånga måste dom ju nog sopa de hela under mattan, för dom är ju inte ens en part i hela striderna, säger dom. Sen har ju DNR o LNR satt flera videon på youtube hur dom behandlar ALLA mänskor, både sk vänliga och fiender... Jo, jag såg det här med klippta öronet. Det är oroväckande.

Jag förstår vad du menar med neglect, på svenska sku de vara närmast nonchanans/övergivelse/likgiltighet. Men det är just den uppfattningen jag har fått. Så tycks de vara, tyvärr.

En fråga skulle jag ännu ha:

Oho, tää softa ei ole ole oikein hanskassa vielä.

Nå, frågan är: använder ryssen "vapenvilan" bara för att stärka egna positionerna, el kommer det en el två nya attacker inom vapenvilan för att få för dem taget nya strategiska positioner?

Could we get more discussion in English if possible: I am sad to admit this, but my knowledge of Swedish is poor, and as such people like me would have to resort to using internet translators to translate all this Swedish discussion, which isn't ideal at all (there's A LOT that's lost in "translation" with those).

Viimeksi muokattu:
Have you noticed if rotation of Ukrainian forces have increased lately? There is a lot more soldiers on leave in Kiev now then it has been before. From talking to soldiers earlier they have complained about exhaustion since they don't get any or little relive from front line duty

Didnt notice anything special. When I was in Kiev there were only a small number of soldiers there on leave (in uniform), and Ukrainian friends said the same - not many soldiers home on leave.

Nå, frågan är: använder ryssen "vapenvilan" bara för att stärka egna positionerna, el kommer det en el två nya attacker inom vapenvilan för att få för dem taget nya strategiska positioner?

My guess is both, actually. Of course they are always using the ceasefires to their advantage, both if means digging in or attacking. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Det här är faktist något jag har funderat på. Hur ofta släpper de er på permis och hur ordnas detta i praktiken? Tar du din personliga utrustning med dig eller förvaras den på basen, och kan man i så fall lita på att allt finns kvar då man kommer tillbaks?
Jag har förstått att David Eriksson är en gammal gubbe med gumma och barn, har många av de utländska männen familj och hur håller de kontakt med dem? Åker familjemän oftare på permission eller är reglerna lika för alla?
Inte så mycket flash och bang i dessa frågor, men det skulle vara mycket intressant att höra hur dessa grundläggande saker sköts i sådana irreguljära förhållanden.

Haha, gammal gubbe! Det måste svida! :D

Hrmf! Gubbe! I'm dating girls in your age, young man. ;-)

Actually didn't like the leaves that much. I got in a bad mindset going on leave. Just spent money and got drunk in Kiev which felt like they didn't really care about the war. A little bit like Sweden :) . Think almost everyone wanted to be out on missions most of the time.

Hrmf! Gubbe! I'm dating girls in your age, young man. ;-)

Actually didn't like the leaves that much. I got in a bad mindset going on leave. Just spent money and got drunk in Kiev which felt like they didn't really care about the war. A little bit like Sweden :) . Think almost everyone wanted to be out on missions most of the time.

[classic]"Don't they know that there is a war on?"[/classic]

BTW. We have had some discussion about what is artillery proof and specialy how thick armour is enough to keep vehicle operationa and passengers safe? Well, relatively safe.

Also, i'm sure that people here would be interested to know what kind of effect artillery has against mechanised enemy (also non mechanised for that matter)?

I have a feeling that i don't ask the right questions so i try not to ask anything too specific so if you just tell about your experiences and observations.

What is the level of fire direction for artillery and mortars compared to Finland?

How much inderect fire do you have in use?

BTW. We have had some discussion about what is artillery proof and specialy how thick armour is enough to keep vehicle operationa and passengers safe? Well, relatively safe.

Shrapnelproof is always shrapnelproof. Nothing new about that. But it depends a lot on the situation of course.

Also, i'm sure that people here would be interested to know what kind of effect artillery has against mechanised enemy (also non mechanised for that matter)?

Well, to put it short - Artillery is king, as has been since the 16th century or something. I think something like 80-90% of our casulties were due to artillery in actual battle. But it depends a lot on the situation as well - what kind of mech? Do the infantry have shelter or not? What kind of artillery is used and in what way? Id say the books on this matter is quite accurate..

What is the level of fire direction for artillery and mortars compared to Finland?

Im not an artilleryman so I cant really tell. Only thing I know is that its a lot.

How much inderect fire do you have in use?

As said, a lot. For Azov itself its mainy light and heavy mortars, but then there is the army as well. Could have been more though.

And a cuople of questions. Do you get paid?

Of course, but the correct question would be how much? I had more than one month of a paycheck left at the airport when I went home - that got me two cartons of cigarettes, two bottles of the most disgusting vodka I could find and a Kiev souvenirplate with nice pictures of churches and stuff, just for the old folks back at home.

So in short. Yes, we get paid shit.

Speaking about artillery - this is what is sounds like (though they had calmed down a bit by this point..)

Shrapnelproof is always shrapnelproof. Nothing new about that. But it depends a lot on the situation of course.

Well, to put it short - Artillery is king, as has been since the 16th century or something. I think something like 80-90% of our casulties were due to artillery in actual battle. But it depends a lot on the situation as well - what kind of mech? Do the infantry have shelter or not? What kind of artillery is used and in what way? Id say the books on this matter is quite accurate..

Let's say that enemy has BMP-2s and T-series tanks. And they are in offensive. What kind of damage do the regular HE shells do to the enemy vehicles if there are no direct hits? What kind of effects should we expect? As for infantry, let's just resume that they have dismounted from their vehicles after getting contact to the defenders.

Let's say that enemy has BMP-2s and T-series tanks. And they are in offensive. What kind of damage do the regular HE shells do to the enemy vehicles if there are no direct hits? What kind of effects should we expect? As for infantry, let's just resume that they have dismounted from their vehicles after getting contact to the defenders.

Oh it depends. But its mostly by the books - shrapnel can to some extent damage optics and alike on tanks and so forth. And artillery does hurt the infantry, but it depends so much on situation. The main reason artillery takes a toll is not that it is better than small arms fire, but the fact it fires constantly and can hit (basicly) anywhere.

Oh it depends. But its mostly by the books - shrapnel can to some extent damage optics and alike on tanks and so forth. And artillery does hurt the infantry, but it depends so much on situation. The main reason artillery takes a toll is not that it is better than small arms fire, but the fact it fires constantly and can hit (basicly) anywhere.

What is the level of counter battery fire for Russians? For Ukrainians?
Do they use radars? Drones? Recon teams?

And thank you for your answers, keep safe.

OK. How about the tracks? I have seen reports that artillery might damage the tank tracks and therefore immobilise it. Have you noticed this to happen? I'd imagine that a soldier at the front line might not know about it exept by counting the tanks that do arrive to the front. I also saw it mentioned that lot of russian BMPs ending up to the repairs because of fragements finding their way to the radiator grill.

I thought that i might be asking thins wrong so let me ask this differently: Can you tell us about the russian procedure with combat losses? Injured enemy soldiers aren't so much of an issue as if they are injured then they are none of our concern anymore realy and there realy isn't any point trying to change that. But how do they behave when they suffer losses? For example if a tank unit suffers damage from artillery fire before their mission what is the effect to the mission? Do they go on with the mission as ordered with the remaining forces or is the mission postponed untill repairs are completed (presuming that there is anything to repair)?

How russians conduct their armoured reconaisance? Is it done by the usual 3 BMP platoon or do they reinforce that platoon a lot? Do they do recon or do they get all the info from UAVs these days?

I heard that "separatists" use a lot of AT-rifles and these have taken a considerable toll of Ukrainian BMPs ect. during the war. Is this true? Also, how good effect the 12,7mm MG has on BMP? All sources tend the say that it will penetrate BMP from the flanks but what else it can do to it exept make a few holes? Can it damage any internal components after penetrating? Or is the heavy MG at all viable anti-bmp weapon?

Har ni numera jobbat med att bygga fortifikationer? Visserligen är utbildning i taktiska förmågor viktigt, men man ska ju inte förlora manskap åt artillerield, för att inte ha skydd.

På den tid som större slag inte skett, kunde man ju ha byggt stamfortifikationer. Du vet inom SA, först gräver man sin grop, därefter för stridsparet, därefter stridsgravar, löpgravar, fältfortifikationer (vanliga korsun med timmer o stenar, sand) och slutligen stamfortifikationer i betong.

Rörlig krigsföring är bra, men fortifikationer i flera led o i kilometervis tar musten av ryssen.

@Sinkomies Noterar nu att du är fd, men ändå...

Back