Diskussion om kriget i Ukraina, med deltagare - Discussion on war in Ukraine, with participant

@adam7 Can we please try to keep discussion in English if possible?

Would it be possible to have this topic only in English. Some of us are not so fluent with Swedish language and we are missing lots of interesting stuff. Thanks!

Could we get more discussion in English if possible: I am sad to admit this, but my knowledge of Swedish is poor, and as such people like me would have to resort to using internet translators to translate all this Swedish discussion, which isn't ideal at all (there's A LOT that's lost in "translation" with those).

This is not meant to disrespect our Swedish speaking compatriots, who speak the language as either their primary language or are fluent enough to speak it as their secondary language (despite my prominent Swedish family name and my father's fluency in the language I, unfortunately, belong to neither of those two groups I just mentioned - yeah, my dad's not happy with me at all :( ), but simply meant to help keep the discussion going more smoothly.

Viimeksi muokattu:
@adam7 Can we please try to keep discussion in English if possible?

This is not meant to disrespect our Swedish speaking compatriots, who speak the language as either their primary language or are fluent enough to speak it as their secondary language (despite my prominent Swedish family name and my father's fluency in the language I, unfortunately, belong to neither of those two groups I just mentioned - yeah, my dad's not happy with me at all :( ), but simply meant to help keep the discussion going more smoothly.
Översättningen mellan svenska och engelska fungerar utmärk. Bara ett klick om du installerat ett tillägg i din bläddrare.

Transalation between Swedish and English works outstandingly well . Just one klick away if you have installed an extension in your browser.

Hey people. Sorry about the inactivity. Civilian life is really intense and tough (..)

OK. How about the tracks? I have seen reports that artillery might damage the tank tracks and therefore immobilise it. Have you noticed this to happen? I'd imagine that a soldier at the front line might not know about it exept by counting the tanks that do arrive to the front. I also saw it mentioned that lot of russian BMPs ending up to the repairs because of fragements finding their way to the radiator grill.

Dont really know much about that, but both things seem resonable.

I thought that i might be asking thins wrong so let me ask this differently: Can you tell us about the russian procedure with combat losses? Injured enemy soldiers aren't so much of an issue as if they are injured then they are none of our concern anymore realy and there realy isn't any point trying to change that. But how do they behave when they suffer losses? For example if a tank unit suffers damage from artillery fire before their mission what is the effect to the mission? Do they go on with the mission as ordered with the remaining forces or is the mission postponed untill repairs are completed (presuming that there is anything to repair)?

Cant really say either. All I know is that their assault was halted at some point. My only guess is that its because of casualties. However how heavy losses they took and how they acted on them, I cant say.

All I know is somehow how the Ukrainians do it, and well, it depends. Sometimes we went on with our missions without tank support for example, sometimes we waited or changed the mission parameters, sometimes we cancelled. Its difficult to give a perfect example, it depends. All I can say is that it didnt seemed that organised most of the time. My guess is the Russians were better organised, but they probably suffer from lack from it as well to some extent.

How russians conduct their armoured reconaisance? Is it done by the usual 3 BMP platoon or do they reinforce that platoon a lot? Do they do recon or do they get all the info from UAVs these days?

From what Ive seen, there have been some armored reconpatrols with for example a jeep and a BTR, or like that. I guess they do it different ways as well. UAV's however are of course also used a lot.

I heard that "separatists" use a lot of AT-rifles and these have taken a considerable toll of Ukrainian BMPs ect. during the war. Is this true? Also, how good effect the 12,7mm MG has on BMP? All sources tend the say that it will penetrate BMP from the flanks but what else it can do to it exept make a few holes? Can it damage any internal components after penetrating? Or is the heavy MG at all viable anti-bmp weapon?

A lot I wouldnt say, but PTRDs and some PTRS rifles have been used by both sides. I havnt heard anything about them being used against BMPs and similair vehicles though, but in some cases it should work.

From what Ive heard the NSV can damage a BMP, at least from the sides, at least at shorter ranges, with crew-kills and casualties on the personel inside as the general as the effect (but of couse, shrapnel inside should be able to damage components too). BMD1 and 2 are more vulnerable to 12,7 mm. Speaking on the subject, I have seen a BTR-80 that took a direct hit on the side-front glacis or armor from a BMP/BMD1s 73mm HE round. It did not penetrate but cracked the welding. Same vehicle was knocked out as a RPG of some sort penetrated straight through each side.

Har ni numera jobbat med att bygga fortifikationer? Visserligen är utbildning i taktiska förmågor viktigt, men man ska ju inte förlora manskap åt artillerield, för att inte ha skydd.

På den tid som större slag inte skett, kunde man ju ha byggt stamfortifikationer. Du vet inom SA, först gräver man sin grop, därefter för stridsparet, därefter stridsgravar, löpgravar, fältfortifikationer (vanliga korsun med timmer o stenar, sand) och slutligen stamfortifikationer i betong.

Rörlig krigsföring är bra, men fortifikationer i flera led o i kilometervis tar musten av ryssen.

There are some fortifications buildt along the frontline and second lines, mostly at and around checkpoints (ie roads), mostly trenches with shelters. This includes dugins for tanks and other heavy equipment as well.

Im trying to get my shit out communist-Sweden and move to Finland (and re-learn finnish... god help me...) at the moment, but David has relocated himself to the front instead. Here the latest news.

A17NeHk.jpg

"Thanks for the chandeliers, Putin. You didn't have to send it express delivery through the kitchen roof, but we appreciate the gesture."

yT9dHCd.jpg

Artillery from the russian side is mainly light mortars at the moment, but as you can see - 120 mm does rain down from time to time too. Funny, I thought they were part of the "Heavy weapons-ban" in the ceasefire. Strange.

Näin suomalaiset sotivat Ukrainassa
Keskiviikko 15.4.2015 klo 09.02

Odottelua, taisteluita, epätietoisuutta, vaaroja. Suomalaistaistelija kuvailee elämää Itä-Ukrainan rintamalla.

Azov taistelee Itä-Ukrainassa Ukrainan armeijan puolella Itä-Ukrainan kapinallisia vastaan, joita Venäjän tiedetään tukevan. (AP)
LUE MYÖS
Amerikkalaislehti: Suomalainen haavoittui Itä-Ukrainassa

Haavoittuiko suomalainen Ukrainassa vai ei?

Iltalehti sai haltuunsa Itä-Ukrainassa taistelevien vapaaehtoisten keskusteluja suljetulla verkkofoorumilla. Ainakin yhdellä heistä on Suomen kansalaisuus.

Nuorukainen kertoo keskustelufoorumilla arjestaan Ukrainan armeijan puolella kapinallisia vastaan taistelevien vapaaehtoisten Azov-pataljoonassa: kokemuksistaan, käyttämistään aseista ja ajatuksistaan sodasta. Varusmiespalveluksen Suomessa suorittanut Carolus Löfroos on ollut Ukrainassa jo kuukausia.

- En tietenkään ymmärrä suurvaltapolitiikkaa tässä, mutta näkemykseni on tämä: 1) Lännen tulee sanoa Venäjälle; lopeta naapureidesi asioihin puuttuminen tai tulemme väliin ja/tai 2) lähettäkää sotilaallista apua, aseita, kouluttajia, kaikkea. Työntäkää venäläiset ulos maasta, Löfroos kirjoitti helmikuun alussa liityttyään keskusteluketjuun.

Keskusteluun on osallistunut suomalaisten lisäksi ruotsalaisia taistelijoita sekä monia Ukrainan sodasta kiinnostuneita suomalaisia, jotka haluavat tukea vapaaehtoisia. Viimeisimmät päivitykset ovat viime viikolta.

- Minulla ei ole sinulle mitään kysymyksiä juuri nyt, mutta toivon sinulle kaikkea hyvää venäläisten metsästämiseen! Pidä pää alhaalla ja pysy turvassa, eräs nimimerkki kirjoitti.

Taisteluja ja osapuolten aseellista vahvuutta ruoditaan keskusteluissa paljon.

- Ukrainan armeijalla on melko suuri asearsenaali. Ongelma on, että heillä ei ole tarpeeksi miehiä ja koulutusta käyttää sitä, ja se on vanhaa tai kulunutta, Löfroos kirjoitti.

Suomalainen Carolus Löfroos, 26, taistelee Itä-Ukrainassa Azov-pataljoonassa. Hän on antanut aiemmin useita haastatteluja kokemuksistaan. (CAROLUS LÖFROOS / SUOMEN SOTILAS)
Asetta odotellessa

Foorumilla on kyselty suomalaismiehen aseistuksesta ja varusteista sekä siitä, onko hän mahdollisesti vienyt omia aseitaan Suomesta Ukrainaan.

- Käytän vanhaa Weaver 2,5x ulottuvuudella (kiikaritähtäin), jonka kiskoin irti hirvikivääristäni ennen tänne saapumista. Se toimii.

- Jos vapaaehtoinen saisi jotenkin aseensa tänne tullin läpi, en usko, että kenelläkään täällä sota-alueella olisi mitään sitä vastaan.

Oman aseensa hän kertoo ostaneensa Kiovasta.

- Odotan yhä, että saisin uuden PKM:n (Kalashnikovin Neuvostoliitossa 1960-luvulla suunnittelema kevyt konekivääri). Entinen astui miinaan sillä aikaa kun olin poissa...

Foorumilla joku kysyy, käyttääkö kukaan rintamalla pistooleja.

- Normaalilla AK74-rynnäkkökiväärillä varustetulle en näe todellista tarvetta sille. Mutta konekiväärimiehille, tarkka-ampujille ja muille on käytännöllistä, jos heillä on toinen kevyt ase, Löfroos vastaa.

Azov-pataljoonan vapaaehtoiset vahvistivat asemiaan Shyrokinessa Mariupolin ulkopuolella maaliskuun lopussa. Myös suomalaisia oli taistelemassa heidän riveissään.
Huhut piinaavat

Itä-Ukrainan rintamalla arjen täyttää enimmikseen odottaminen. Monesti mitään ei tapahdu pitkiin aikoihin, ja vapaaehtoiset vain ovat.

- Eräs suurimmista ongelmista minulle on ollut huhujen leviäminen, väärä tieto sekä ongelmat vakoojien ja sabotoijien kanssa. Koskaan ei voi tietää keneen luottaa, eikä koskaan tiedä mitä tapahtuu. Sitä voi olla tukikohdassa viikon tekemättä mitään ja sitten yhtäkkiä: "Menkää, 10 minuuttia! Minne? En tiedä. Miten? Ehkä autolla. Tekemään mitä? En tiedä. Kuinka pitkään? Ehkä 1-5 päivää. Mitä pitää ottaa mukaan? Räjähteitä", hän kuvaili taistelukäskyjä.

- Mitä enemmän sitä kysyy, sitä vähemmän tietää.

Suomalaisaktiivit ovat järjestäneet vapaaehtoisille varainkeräystä, koska sotilaiden palkkiot ovat Ukrainassa pieniä.

- Nyt mukaan tähän jätkät. Kerrankin voi edes yrittää tehdä jotain konkreettista, yksi suomalaisista nimimerkeistä rohkaisee foorumilla muita.

Moni ilmoittaa lahjoittaneensa.

Keskusteluun nousee myös kysymys siitä, onko Löfroosilla mahdollisesti sairausvakuutusta.

- Ei. Luotan kai Jumalaan.

"Rankka viikko"

Välillä muut foorumin jäsenet ovat olleet suomalaismiehestä huolissaan, jos hänestä ei ole kuulunut pitkään aikaan mitään. Itä-Ukrainan rintamalla voi menettää henkensä koska tahansa, vaikka rauhansopimus onkin virallisesti voimassa.

- Rankka viikko. Palasin vasta eilen illalla reilun viikon duunista.

Siitä, onko Venäjä mukana Ukrainan konfliktissa vai ei, on Löfroosilla varma käsitys.

- Voin vain sanoa, että en ennen ollut sataprosenttisen varma, mutta nyt olen: vihollinen täällä ei koostu kaivosmiehistä, työläisistä tai itäukrainalaisista juopoista. Nämä ovat venäläisiä vakituisia sotilaita, jotka työskentelevät, käyttäytyvät ja suunnittelevat tekemisensä niin kuin sotilaat.

- Rintaman ensimmäinen linja perääntyi nopeasti Sherokynessa muutama päivä sitten, mutta toinen linja piti. Molemmat puolet menettivät miehiä, pääasiassa tykistötulesta. Venäläiset menettivät ainakin yhden BMP2-rynnäkköpanssarivaunun, ja yksi BMP-rynnäkköpanssarivaunu ja T-64-taistelupanssarivaunu vahingoittuivat, suomalaismies selosti sodan tapahtumia helmikuun puolivälissä.

Hyvin koulutettuja

Azov-pataljoonassa viime syksynä ollut ja rintamalle palaamista harkitseva ruotsalaismies kertoo ulkomaalaistaistelijoiden olevan yleensä hyvin koulutettuja.

- Moni on saanut useiden vuosien ajan ammattikokemusta parhaissa ryhmissä kotimaassaan. Ukrainalaiset eivät niinkään. Jotkut olivat todella hyviä, toiset eivät. Monet korkeat upseerit olivat paskoja.

Löfroos on ladannut keskusteluketjuun myös valokuvia rintamalta. Niissä näkyy tuhoutuneita sotilasajoneuvoja, sotilaita täysvarustuksessa poseeraamassa, panssarivaunuja ja tykkitulen jälkeistä savua.

- Saimme kyliä haltuumme Sherokynessa, Mariupolin itäpuolella, ja rintamalinja piti neljä päivää. Perjantaina ryhmämme lähetettiin etelään Sherokyneen ja seuraavana päivänä vihollisen hyökkäys alkoi, suomalaistaistelija selosti.

- Tulitauko koskee lähinnä raskasta aseistusta. Tykistötulta on ollut paljon vähemmän sen (rauhansopimuksen) käyttöönoton jälkeen. Debaltsevesta en tiedä mitään, mutta sen mitä kuulin kaverilta, joka oli siellä - se oli teurastus.

Miinat uhkana

Löfroosin mielestä ukrainalaissotilaat tarvitsisivat ennen kaikkea koulutusta ja hyviä johtajia. Aseita maalla kyllä riittää.

- Ihmiset pelkäävät tarkka-ampujia todella paljon. Minne tahansa meneekin, ihmiset katselevat ympärilleen mahdollisten tarkka-ampujien piilopaikkojen varalta.

Myös miinat ovat vakava uhka Itä-Ukrainassa.

- Moni on kuollut tai haavoittunut niiden vuoksi. Hyvin usein sitä huomaa kävelevänsä pellolla tai kadulla metsänrajassa miinauhan vuoksi.

Kännyköitä vapaaehtoiset sotilaat eivät käytä kuin hätätilassa. Muuten heidät voitaisiin paikantaa.

- Loma TJ 1, by the way, Löfroos iloitsi helmikuun lopussa.

Häneltä kysyttiin myös, maksetaanko hänelle sotimisesta palkkaa.

- Totta kai, mutta oikeampi kysymys olisi, kuinka paljon. Jätin yli kuukauden liksani lentokentälle, kun lähdin kotiin - sain sillä kaksi kartonkia tupakkaa, kaksi pulloa ällöttävää vodkaa sekä kiovalaisen matkamuistolautasen, jossa oli kuvia kauniista kirkoista ja muusta, kotiin porukoille vietäväksi. Joten lyhyesti sanottuna, palkkamme on paska, Löfroos tiivisti.

People, you have not whitnessed Swedish newsmedia. You should be content with what you got - gods honest truth, its not that bad.

Im trying to get my shit out communist-Sweden and move to Finland (and re-learn finnish... god help me...) at the moment, but David has relocated himself to the front instead. Here the latest news.

A17NeHk.jpg

"Thanks for the chandeliers, Putin. You didn't have to send it express delivery through the kitchen roof, but we appreciate the gesture."

yT9dHCd.jpg

Artillery from the russian side is mainly light mortars at the moment, but as you can see - 120 mm does rain down from time to time too. Funny, I thought they were part of the "Heavy weapons-ban" in the ceasefire. Strange.

Welcome, bring as many of your brothers in arms as possible, this country needs more warriors going future.

Can give an example? With english translation. I don't speak swedish too well.

Nothing in English, fortuneatly. No one would want too see it anyway. Youll just have to take my word for it..

Edit: But then again, Im reading the article with google translate at the moment, which works so-so from finnish to swedish or english. To you others who can actually read, does it seem to be correct or are there many anomalies in it?

Viimeksi muokattu:
Sinkomies, have you read this?

https://www.rusi.org/downloads/assets/201503_BP_Russian_Forces_in_Ukraine_FINAL.pdf

Do you agree on his assesment that they are really lacking in manpower and equipment?

Or could it be possible that it is just part of an limited rotation they have chosen for their core forces to gain experience?
That there is a buildup happening in Russia proper under maskirovka using these veterans as cadres for new brigades?

Do you think the battalion/company tactical groups are an ad hoc solution as he claims or that they are in fact just Russia moving in to modern battlefield compositions?

Viimeksi muokattu:
Russia is actually preparing to tap in to the manpower in Central Asian states and enlist them to the Russian army.
They could be doing it in large scale allready for all we know, you have had those Siberians and other Asian looking troops in Ukraine by looking at the photos.
Moscovites are more and more looking like the Golden Horde that they are descendant from.

People, you have not whitnessed Swedish newsmedia. You should be content with what you got - gods honest truth, its not that bad.

Yes, I've seen them...perhaps if Iltalehti is worst the situation is pretty OK :D

Edit: Must commend them for this article though...it is generally in a neutral/positive tone, not any neo-nazi accusations or other crap.

Viimeksi muokattu:
Im trying to get my shit out communist-Sweden and move to Finland (and re-learn finnish... god help me...) at the moment, but David has relocated himself to the front instead.

Welcome! Finnish must be tough as hell but it helps that swedish is the second official language...well you pretty much cant use it here in eastern Finland but "finglish" is more than adequate for the transition period :)

Hope Finland feels better, we do have our fair share of stupid politicians and other shite here, but I guess Sweden is even worse in this...

I have one question to Sinkomies what I´ve been thinking to ask long time.

I would be curious to hear your opinion about the Russian rifle grenades and their use "over there". When looking separatist videos, it seems that pretty many AK is equipped with under barrel grenade launchers and grenade use is quite liberal. But how effective they really are and do you consider those grenades big threat in battlefield? As you know, Finnish army practically doesn´t have any rifle grenades in their arsenal, at least not in mass use.

Hope learning finnish goes well.

Sinkomies, have you read this?

https://www.rusi.org/downloads/assets/201503_BP_Russian_Forces_in_Ukraine_FINAL.pdf

Do you agree on his assesment that they are really lacking in manpower and equipment?

Or could it be possible that it is just part of an limited rotation they have chosen for their core forces to gain experience?
That there is a buildup happening in Russia proper under maskirovka using these veterans as cadres for new brigades?

Do you think the battalion/company tactical groups are an ad hoc solution as he claims or that they are in fact just Russia moving in to modern battlefield compositions?

Russia is actually preparing to tap in to the manpower in Central Asian states and enlist them to the Russian army.
They could be doing it in large scale allready for all we know, you have had those Siberians and other Asian looking troops in Ukraine by looking at the photos.
Moscovites are more and more looking like the Golden Horde that they are descendant from.

Dont know really what the russians are actually up to, but I try to keep an open mind and that was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing it.

I have one question to Sinkomies what I´ve been thinking to ask long time.

I would be curious to hear your opinion about the Russian rifle grenades and their use "over there". When looking separatist videos, it seems that pretty many AK is equipped with under barrel grenade launchers and grenade use is quite liberal. But how effective they really are and do you consider those grenades big threat in battlefield? As you know, Finnish army practically doesn´t have any rifle grenades in their arsenal, at least not in mass use.

Hope learning finnish goes well.

If used correctly, underbarrel launchers can be used very efficently. The russians (and ukrainians) seem to use them more according the "lob-one-or-two-in-the-general-enemy-direction-and-have-great-profit" technique, which is maybe.. well.. shall we say a tad bit to "slavic" in mindset, if you ask me. They are designed for use as a fill in between throwingrange of handgrenades and minimum safety-distance for light mortars and for use in that way - I like them a lot.

Same with the AGS (and similair weapons) - extremely effective and potent weapon, if used correctly. If it isnt used correctly (ie in the way its designed to), its just as useless as any other weapon would be.

The rifle granades should be useful in the urban setting?
You might even use them for ambush by creating holes to confined buildings and corridors you suspect the enemy will move trough and fire them aiming the holes from maximum effective distance?
Or how accurate are they?
Never used one, would be fun to try it out.

Edit: But then again, Im reading the article with google translate at the moment, which works so-so from finnish to swedish or english. To you others who can actually read, does it seem to be correct or are there many anomalies in it?

The way I read it, they had just lazily copied pieces from here and there in this discussion. So, not much editing, or distortion.

The only issue was that they gave the impression, that this was a closed group into which they were able to sneak in. Sounds much better than saying "I copied these texts from a public internet forum" ;)

gives the image that we are closed and secret group , which supports the troops also financially. and we have been concerned for example about you when you have not responded to in a long time forum , which of course is true . The texts are copies directly to the forum but the news is written dramatically.

Back