F-35 Lightning II

Viime sodassa Ruotsin pelasti se, että olivat jo valmiiksi Saksan piirittäminä ja halukkaita jatkamaan malmikauppaa. Seuraavassa konfliktissa mikään ei estä sodan eskaloitumista Suomesta Ruotsin puolelle, joten Ruotsilla ei ole kummoista intressiä yrittää pysyä "neutraalina" vetämällä mattojan toisten alta.
Ei Ruotsi talvisodassa ollut neutraali, eli puolueeton, vaan "sotaa käymätön", joka salli sen toimittaa materiaalia, vapaaehtoisia ja rahaa Suomelle. Jatkosodassa muodollisesti puolueeton, mutta myötäili Saksaa kun se oli vahva ja liittoutuneita kun Saksa oli häviälä. Mutta niinhän valtionjohdon pitääkin tehdä. Pitää maa erossa sodasta jos voi.

Jos Suomi olisi sodassa, olisi koneiden huolto ongelmallista Ruotsissa. Toisaalta, vaikea nähdä että Ruotsi voisi pysyä erossa EU-maahan kohdistetusta hyökkäyksestä.

Ruotsi on nykyään vielä liittoutuneempi kuin Suomi, joten se siitä liittoutumattomien maiden välisestä höpinästä

PPRuNe:ssa herra 'Engines', kovan luokan Harrier-veteraani, kertoilee jälleen mielenkiintoisia anekdootteja ja havaintoja F-35:n suunnitteluhistoriasta. Kannatta käydä vilkaisemassa F-22/F35-hybridiketju, jos F35:n vaiheet ja tulevaisuusspekulointi kiinnostavat:

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/608046-lm-new-fighter-f-22-f-35-hybrid-2.html

What I would observe is that the F-35 has a very decent thrust/weight ratio, more lifting surface than people might think, and most importantly, its sensor, communications and mission equipment suite is extremely good. It's certainly not as good an out and out air combat machine as the F-22 - but the laws of physics get in the way there. All the reports from the pilots flying it tell us that it's a very potent air combat machine. But it's not an F-16, because it wasn't designed that way.

In fact, there was a clear statement that the aircraft was not required to be compatible with the Invincible lift and hangar deck layouts. I've got a reasonably clear handle on this as I was the engineer responsible for monitoring how the LM team was handling the various shipboard compatibility requirements.

As LM found out, designing a supersonic, stealthy, STOVL aircraft about the size of an F-4 [...] is a very hard thing indeed. Having an airframe design team whose last completed job was the F-16 didn't help. Ignoring offers of help from the UK also didn't help. Not having a Chief Designer DEFINITELY didn't help. Water under the bridge now, aircraft are deployed on USN LHDs as we speak.

Going back to the thread, if LM wanted to 'leverage' their hard won F-35 experience, I'd expect them to take the F-35 layout, free it from STOVL and commonality, and develop a larger land based single engined fighter-bomber. But hey, I'm a retired engineer with nothing else to do but speculate.

Best Regards as ever to all those working out what the heck they are going to need in 20 years time....

No, siellä käsiteltiin erittäin perusteellisesti, miksi kone on sen muotoinen kuin on. Love the engineers :)

Hyvää settiä. Yksi asia ihmetyttää...
"Having an airframe design team whose last completed job was the F-16 didn't help. "

^Luulin että koneen suunnitteli sama tiimi kuin F-22:n? Mutta tämä herra antaa ymmärtää että suunnittelutyö meni entiselle General Dynamicsin tiimille?

En tiedä mitä tarkoittaa tuolla itse, mutta jos viisastelemaan aletaan niin Raptorhan oli LocMartin ja Boeingin yhteistyön tulos. Seuraavanlaisesti jakautuneena

Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems, a division of Lockheed Martin Corp., based in Marietta, Ga., was responsible for program management; the integrated forebody (nose section) and forward fuselage, including the cockpit and inlets; the wing leading edge; the fins and stabilators, flaps, ailerons and landing gear; and final assembly of the aircraft. Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems, based in Fort Worth, Texas, was responsible for the center fuselage; stores management; integrated navigation and electronic warfare systems; the communications, navigation, and identification system; and the weapon support system.

Boeing in Seattle, Wash., built the wings and aft fuselage, including the structures necessary for engine and nozzle installation, and was responsible for avionics integration, 70 percent of mission software, the training system, the life support and fire protection systems, and the pilot and maintenance training systems.

In 2002, Boeing delivered the 2,000-pound (907-kilogram) titanium and composite wings for the first F-22 production aircraft.

Hyvää settiä. Yksi asia ihmetyttää...
"Having an airframe design team whose last completed job was the F-16 didn't help. "

^Luulin että koneen suunnitteli sama tiimi kuin F-22:n? Mutta tämä herra antaa ymmärtää että suunnittelutyö meni entiselle General Dynamicsin tiimille?

Näin minä tämän ymmärsin. Tässä näyttää sanovan että F-22 suunniteltiin vanhassa Lockheed-Georgia Companyssa Georgian Mariettassa, kun F-35:n suunnittelutyö tehtiin Forth Worthissa joka on GD:n peruja. Mielenkiintoista pohdintaa muutenkin.

Guys,

Perhaps these few thoughts could help.

I agree with LO that using the labels '5th Gen', '4.5 Gen' or whatever are not especially helpful. They're really a marketing tool to use with senior officer types, a sort of shorthand, and as ever with shorthand, the meaning can get lost in the translation.

Where I would gently depart from LO is the characterisation of the relationship between F-22 and F-35. Yes, both LM products - but one from Georgia, one from Fort Worth. That makes more difference than one might expect. And very different requirements. Taking the aspects as listed by LO,

Technology, yes, big pull through of stealth technology from F-22, but with major changes to address maintainability and the need for big moving panels and doors on a smaller aircraft. I was never 'read into' the details of LO signatures (even if I was I wouldn't be able to talk much about it) but what is open source is the fact that the F-35 has gone for a different balance between LO, aerodynamic performance and avionics capability, involving less aggressive targets for signature. Time will tell if it's a better balance. Airframe technology was very different to F-22, especially in choice of materials.

Design philosophy - F-22 was, in my view (please feel free to differ) the last of the 'ultimate' fighter projects, along with Typhoon, where the design was driven by very challenging aerodynamic performance requirements, including super cruise. These drove a large, twin engined design, dominated by two very powerful engines, big wings, and fuel. It's no surprise, therefore, that the F-22 weapons bays are relatively low volume - any design of that type will have severe restraints on internal space. It's also no secret that LM Fort Worth had decided some time back that the basic F-22 layout (side intakes, twin tails, blended wing/body) was the way forward for F-35, but with less aggressive air vehicle performance objectives. They may have been right - recent Russian and Chinese designs appear to have gone a similar way. Again, time will tell. F-35 is a more 'balanced design' than F-22, but the constraints of LO (restrictions on external pods as a solution to lack of internal space) still apply.

Avionics Architecture - this is one area where there are a number of significant differences in the way F-35 has gone about its business . The phrase 'it's not like legacy' (by which they meant F-22) was a constant refrain from LM avionics engineers. In particular, the software architecture is totally different, with the state aim of allowing easier downstream insertion of new technology. Upgradeability was a key target from the outset. Is it good enough? I don't know, and nobody else will until it gets into service. All i can say is that F-22 lessons were being heavily 'leveraged' (to use a 'yuk' US word) all the time in F-35 avionics design.

I suppose what i'm trying to put over is that any aircraft design is a response to requirements, and uses the best technology available at acceptable risk. F-35 is a full 20 years on from F-22, so it's not a surprise that it has used what worked on the Raptor, and used new stuff where it was available. It's a very different beast - time will tell if it ticks all the boxes.

Best Regards as ever to those who care about delivering the goods,

Engines

Tästä uutisvinkkiä iltasanomille. "Suomen uusi hyökkäyshävittäjä on varustettu ydinpommeilla! Lue Li Anderssonin kommentit".

Yhdysvaltain puolustushallinto Pentagon on painottanut viime vuosina tarvetta uudistaa maan ikääntyviä ydinasejärjestelmiä. Sen mukaan maa tarvitsisi erityisesti pienellä ydinkärjillä varustettuja aseita, joihin myös uusi B61-12 lukeutuu.

Miksi verkkouutiset ei mainitse että tämä johtuu Venäjän ydinase doktriinista ja uhkailusta, nyt saa taas tietämättömät ihmiset taivastella Yhdysvaltain sotapolitiikkaa.

Se että USAn toimissa ei ole mitään hyvää ikinä, johtuu kyllä pelkästään siitä että suurin osa Suomen toimittajista on hippi aikakauden tuotteita, ja nuoremmat toimittajat heidän oppilaitaan. Vasemmistoliberaalille on turha kertoa faktoja, syitä ja seurauksia, heillä on ihan omat totuutensa tästä maailmasta, ja yrittävät saada tuon valheen levitettyä kaikille muillekin.

Draken? Nyt sekoitit ajatuksesi linkin perusteella Hornetin valintaan johtaneeseen kisaan, jossa oli Gripukka A/B.
Totta, tarkoitus oli kirjoittaa Gripen, mutta kaikki palstan Sherlokit huomasivat virheen. Pahoittelen.

• Tykkää
Reactions: PSS
Back